Last night’s All-Star Game was the lowest-rated of all time

Jul 13, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT

old TV

Well, fewer people watched on TV in 1933, but I don’t think that will make anyone at MLB or Fox feel better.

According to Sports Business Journal, Fox earned a 7.9 overnight Nielsen rating, which was the lowest ever.  It was down 13.2% from last year and down 24% from 2009.

Low ratings compared to other All-Star Games aside, it was a good rating for a mid-summer weeknight, for whatever that’s worth, giving Fox the prime time win of the night. When the All-Star Game starts to get beat by “America’s Got Talent,” we’ll start worrying. Well, you’ll start worrying. “America’s Got Talent” helps pay my salary, so I’m covered either way.

SBJ reports that the highest rated city was St. Louis which, for its trouble, got to see that early Matt Holliday/Lance Berkman strike-em-out, throw-em-out double play, so there’s that.  No word on what the rating was in Washington, where they got the privilege of seeing Tyler Clippard get the win.

1. easports82 - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Wait a minute: you’re trying to tell me that giving the winner home field for the WS doesn’t get people excited to watch an exhibition game? But Bud said everyone loves it!

• pjmarn6 - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:52 PM

The all star game has never had an appeal for me. BUT HERE IS AN IDEA THAT HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN. A MID SEASON ONE WEEK MINI WORLD SERIES! Take the top 8 teams and have them play one game against each other. 7 games in total and they will count in the standings. So fans across the country can see the best of the best 7 days running for a full seven days. AND TO MAKE IT FAIR FOR THE “FANS” THE GAMES WILL RUN ON “FREE” NATIONAL TV. WOWSIE PAYING BACK THE FANS! INSTANTANEOUS HATRED OF BUD SELIG AND ALL AGENTS AGAINST THIS IDEA.
      ALL THE OTHER TEAMS WILL GET A 7 DAY BREAK BUT SOMEHOW THE COMPUTERS WILL BE PROGRAMMED FOR ALL THE OTHER TEAMS TO PLAY 7 MORE GAMES AFTER THE MINI WORLD SERIES. JESUS THIS MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE THAN GIVING A PITCHER WHO PITCHED 1/3 OF AN INNING A WIN FOR THE WORLD SERIES OR SEEING AN “ALL STAR” WHO HIT .231 NAMED TO THE TEAM. AND AT LEAST THE PLAYER AND THE TEAM CAN’T BOW OUT BECAUSE THE PITCHER JUST PITCHED OR THE PLAYER IS HURTING FOR A DAY OR TWO.
      WANT TO CORRECT A COUPLE OF ERRORS IN PREVIOUS COMMENT. …..MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE THAN GIVING A PITCHER WHO PITCHED 1/3 OF AN INNING A WIN FOR THE “ALL STAR GAME”……AND THIS WOULD TAKE THE PLACE OF THE “ALL STAR GAME” THE SEVEN GAMES COULD BE REDUCED FROM THE NORMAL SCHEDULE OF THE 8 TEAMS WHO PLAYED IN THE MINI WORLD SERIES. AND TO MAKE IT VERY CLEAR, THESE GAMES WOULD BE AT THE MID WAY POINT IN THE SEASON. ONE DAY OFF PRIOR TO THE MINI WORLD SERIES AND ONE DAY OFF AFTER THE MINI WORLD SERIES ONLY FOR THE TEAMS WHICH PARTICIPATE IN THE MINI WORLD SERIES. THINK ABOUT IT, FANS ACROSS THE WORLD WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE GREATEST PLAYERS PLAY SEVEN GAMES DURING THE SEASON. AND AT THE END OF THE YEAR, OF COURSE THE NORMAL WORLD SERIES AND THERE WOULD BE NO GUARANTEE THAT THE SAME EIGHT TEAMS WOULD BE IN THE PLAY OFFS OR WORLD SERIES. HELL WHO WANTS TO SEE A GREAT PITCHER PITCH TO ONE BATTER OR ONE GREAT BATTER HAVE ONE AT BAT?

• Senor Cardgage - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Why are you yelling? The all-caps made your wall of text all but unreadable.

2. Utley's Hair - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM

It’s all Jeter’s fault…oh, and Schmuck and McCarebear.

3. randall351 - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Finally people are starting to do something about the All Star game being awful, by not watching it instead of just bitching about how awful it is.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Why do you say the game was awful? Actually, it was a decent game. Solid pitching and some key hits propelled the NL to a victory? It’s one baseball game. Must be a fan of the AL.

• randall351 - Jul 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM

No where did I say that this game in particular was awful. I’m saying the whole All Star Game concept is awful, at least with the status quo. You must have a hard time with reading comprehension.

4. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Maybe it’s time to get new announcers?

• nyyfaninbama - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I watched the first 2 innings and then turned it off because of Buck and McCarver. The only announcer who is worse than them is Hawk Harrelson.

5. APBA Guy - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:25 PM

DVR of the Tour de France was so much better.

6. philly56 - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I watched halladay and lee pitch and only then did I put on agt

7. sdelmonte - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I bet today’s Women’s World Cup game, despite being during the day and on ESPN, did better.

But then it counts.

8. bringpudgebacktotx - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM

With so many pitching changes and substitutions, most people probably flip to the All-Star game to see if their team has a player in. They watch them play for an inning or two and maybe bat once or twice and then switch channels again.

9. ThatGuy - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Help me out here, when it says drew a 7.9 how many actual people is that? 7.9 Million? 7.9 percent of all television? anyone have any idea?

• mornelithe - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM

lol…obviously your lack of knowledge in the matter is rewarded with thumbs down…bunch of pansies…well, two of them anyway.

• kopy - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

7.9 percent of all television-equipped households were tuned in to that program at any given moment.

…LIKE A BOSS!!!

(sorry, it’s quittin’ time and I’m happy about it)

• yankeesgameday - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM

A 7.9 rating means that of the roughly 115 million households with a tv in the u.s. 7.9 percent of them tuned in to the game for a period of time. They can break it down to 15 minute increments, but that’s just minutae for the advertising folks and to show you the exact time people quit watching your show en mass.

anyway, that’s about 9.08 million tvs.

total viewership is estimated from that because 5 people can be watching one tv, but that’s a different formula they use.

a share takes the total amount of tvs in use at that time and tells you what percentage of tvs in use were watching the game.

this is reported city by city so the east coast and larger central time zone cities report first “overnight”. Once the west coast and the smaller markets also send their info it is usually 11 am or so in California the next day. overnights give you a very good idea of who watched, but usually the “national” numbers tick up somewhat. but it is never a big jump.

my guess is there will be a small jump from san Francisco because of all the giants on the team that will give a little push to the nationals when they come out, but nothing much.

if the nationals actually go down from the fast overnight estimate then its a colossal disaster.

• mornelithe - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM

You idjits do realize I was being sarcastic, and one of the thumbs up for him, was from me? Reading comprehension doesn’t appear to be some peoples strong suit here.

• mornelithe - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Yep, definitely idiots.

10. The Common Man - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Clarify the purpose of the All Star Game. Stress how fun it was in the ’80s and ’90s and can be again. Move it earlier so kids can watch. Provide meaningful incentive for selected players to be there, and make sure those players are the best/most popular in the game.

And, assuming this all happens, it would be nice if certain national writers could stop bitching about the game’s weaknesses, and just find the spectacle enjoyable as we celebrate the best players in the game we all love.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Common Man,

We rearely agree on most topics, but I agree with you here. The media hypes this game to such a degree, it can’t live up to anyone’s expectations. What do people expect? It’s just (1) baseball game. An exhibition at that. Just enjoy the game as is. You can criticize the commentators, the overdone coverage, etc., but in the end, it’s a normal baseball game. And the players played the game hard last night.

• The Common Man - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I do love when we find common ground, biceps. Gives me hope for this damned world.

• 1historian - Jul 14, 2011 at 5:48 AM

I love it as much as anyone but I can’t stand it today. If I want to see a game I go watch a college or H.S. game or I go see the minor leaguers play which is about a 2 hour drive. H.S. is the most fun – I take the dog, my chair, have a cold one and watch the game and look at the pretty girls.

TV has taken all the joy out of the game. Not playing World Series games in the afternoon even on weekends just defeats the purpose for me.

I’m not saying they don’t have the right to do all this to maximize their profits, but they lost me long ago. Actually they lost me with the 1994 strike – I would have forgiven them, but they never said they were sorry.

Individually speaking – the guy who gave Jeter’s #3,000 ball to him is facing a tax problem because of his generosity. Any help from the Yankees or Jeter? None that I know of. To me that’s pretty typical of the game these days and that’s why I don’t watch it any more.

FYI – I am 67+ years old, I am a certified old fart and Brooks Robinson was the greatest 3rd baseman of all time.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 14, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Brooks Robinson the greatest 3rd baseman of all time? Greatest glove, maybe. Greatest all around 3rd baseman? No. That honor falls to Mike Schmidt.

• genuinejake - Jul 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM

You’re 67 years old and take your “dog and chair” to a baseball game, where you drink “a cold one” and “look at the pretty girls”?!?!

This is wrong – and illegal – on so many levels.

• genuinejake - Jul 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM

*At a high school baseball game, that is!

11. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Not that this has anything to do with the ratings, but Fox really needs to overhaul its whole baseball operation. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are about as exciting as listening to strangers mumble on the bus. Just because they arent D-bags like Berman isnt good enough. Their biggest fault among many last night was going on and on about who wasnt playing, almost as if that were a bigger deal than the game. Fox should search around the big leagues and pick the best play-by-play/color guy combo and use them. Also get rid of Eric Karros and Mark Grace. Karros says things my 4 yr old could think up and Gracie sounds like a 13 yr old boy going through puberty. Dick Stockton and Mitch Williams are really good together, WAY better than daddies boy and old man obvious.

• The Common Man - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I survived by tuning out the announcers. Barely heard anything they said. Which I imagine is not what the Fox people would want to hear, but they are still likely to stick with the devils they know.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM

That is what sucks about their coverage. Here’s to Vin Scully, at the very least, doing the WS!

12. mornelithe - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Was a silly game, hardly indicative of an actual AL v NL battle. Too many people didn’t show up, or withdrew at the last moment. Hell, I didn’t even watch the Home Run Derby, instead, I went fishing both days (yes, I stayed out late). When I got back, I picked back up where I left off re-watching Band of Brothers on Blu Ray. Really doesn’t mean jack squat to me.

• mornelithe - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Btw, though, not to make it sound like sour grapes or anything. Gratz to the NL on the win.

• The Common Man - Jul 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

As was reported last night or this morning (and I can’t remember where…might have been here), only three guys actually skipped the game who didn’t have injury-related, or pitched on Sunday-related reasons.

• sportsdrenched - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM

But lets be outraged and make in issue out of a red hearing! Ok? Ok.

• mornelithe - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM

That’s fine…still doesn’t negate the fact that due to injury or no-show, people who should’ve been there weren’t. It’s really not a knock on the players there, or the outcome, I just didn’t care to watch it. I’d much rather haul in the 20″ smallmouth bass that I caught ;) And, of course, watch Band of Brothers, cause that series rules all.

@ Sportsdrenched: Yeah, from everything I said, I’m so truly outraged I can hardly contain myself. *rolls eyes* Get over it. I had better things to do.

13. silverdeer - Jul 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I love baseball but due to Selig’s constant manipulation of the rules, the only way I know to get my point across is to not watch it. Until he quits screwing around with the rules and other manipulations I won’t watch it.

14. TheWizard - Jul 13, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Funny, it’s the first one I’ve watched in years.

15. brianf8111 - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Seems to me that MLB is continuing its way into the realm of becoming a fringe sport in the American Sports landscape.

16. Senor Cardgage - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I think the lesson here is you can’t just slap a game on TV, call it important, and expect people to tune in. You actually have to put forth the effort to treat it as important, and Joe Buck did anything but. He sounded tired (and literally sick), but more than that he sounded bored. When Prince Fielder hit what would be the game-winning hit, Buck’s lack of enthusiasm was so palpable as to be distracting. And it wasn’t just that play. It was the whole game. Watch where Bautista was thrown out at the plate. I strongly believe the whole game turned on that play, but to Joe, it was just ho-hum.

So Fox, if you really want us to tune in, get rid of these jokers who sound like they don’t want to be there in the first place. You’ve got to give us something not just worth watching, but worth listening to. On that note, what’s with the football music you’re using for national broadcasts? (It’s fine for football, but I cringe every time they play it for baseball.) Bring back the MLB on Fox theme!

17. Old Gator - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM

What All Star game?

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3643)