Jul 13, 2011, 11:39 AM EDT
We passed along word yesterday that Christian “I caught Jeter’s 3000th” Lopez will probably have to pay a five-figure tax bill on all of the merch the Yankees gave him in exchange for the home run ball. But don’t worry, Christian! Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that help is on the way!
Miller High Life, which recently had a campaign to make its beer the official beer of fans, has offered to cover the bill—which could be more than $10,000—for Lopez, who said he has about $100,000 in student loan debt as well.
Now listen to me closely, Christian: take the cash if it’s being offered. Do not settle for $10K worth of the Champagne of Beers. For two reasons, really. One because, like, it’s Miller High Life. But two, because you’d then have to pay tax on the beer. Although, he may have to pay tax on the cash too. Though eventually, with people paying each subsequent tax bill, I suppose he could pare it down significantly. It’s probably worth noting right now that I got my lowest law school grade in tax class.
Maybe he can just avoid taxes altogether, however. My friend Ethan had a great idea in that regard. From his email to me yesterday in which we talked about the tax implications:
If he had a really ballsy tax lawyer, he could argue that the purchase of his seat for that specific place and date was a shrewd investment of $99.95, which resulted in the capital gain of XXX when it could have been a dead loss, meaning that he should be taxed at cap gains rates, not normal income, approximately halving his tax bill.
Tax-hawks: would this fly? I’d try it!
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 0
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 1
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)