Jul 13, 2011, 12:31 PM EST
Say goodbye to your afternoon!
Over at Deadspin, Eric Nusbaum counts down the 100 worst baseball players of all time. This, however, is not a list of guys with bad stats. They have to embody badness in some significant, lasting way. Wait, let’s let Eric describe it:
But by worst 100 baseball players I don’t just mean the objective worst, the statistical worst, the most physically discomforting to watch. I mean the players whose failure was enduring, endearing, perplexing,and spectacular. It’s easy to identify bad players—sabermetrics has made a truly effective science of it—and it’s easy to name cup-of-coffee guys who never had the ability, physical or mental, to stick in the major leagues. But a list like that might mean leaving out guys like Jose Lima, Ray Oyler, or the Rev. Aloysius Stanislaus Travers.
The list — today’s are the first 51 — is broken up by category. Legendary failures. Nepotism cases. Oddballs. It all makes for great reading. At least what I’ve read of it so far. Like I said: this one will take up a good chunk of your day.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)