Jul 13, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
Say goodbye to your afternoon!
Over at Deadspin, Eric Nusbaum counts down the 100 worst baseball players of all time. This, however, is not a list of guys with bad stats. They have to embody badness in some significant, lasting way. Wait, let’s let Eric describe it:
But by worst 100 baseball players I don’t just mean the objective worst, the statistical worst, the most physically discomforting to watch. I mean the players whose failure was enduring, endearing, perplexing,and spectacular. It’s easy to identify bad players—sabermetrics has made a truly effective science of it—and it’s easy to name cup-of-coffee guys who never had the ability, physical or mental, to stick in the major leagues. But a list like that might mean leaving out guys like Jose Lima, Ray Oyler, or the Rev. Aloysius Stanislaus Travers.
The list — today’s are the first 51 — is broken up by category. Legendary failures. Nepotism cases. Oddballs. It all makes for great reading. At least what I’ve read of it so far. Like I said: this one will take up a good chunk of your day.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 80
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)