Jul 13, 2011, 6:25 PM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez to Cincinnati? Not at all likely. The Rockies are aiming to land a starting pitcher, not subtract one, prior to the July 31 deadline.
Colorado GM Dan O’Dowd told the Denver Post’s Troy Renck that the Rockies are hoping to pick up a starting pitcher under team control beyond this season.
That makes sense, considering that the Rockies are 8 1/2 games back of the Giants in the NL West and 10 1/2 games back of the Braves in the wild card. Known for some big second-half comebacks in previous years, the Rockies aren’t giving up on 2011 just yet. However, they’re also not interested in mortgaging the future when they currently have a better record than just four NL teams.
Renck mentions Florida’s Anibal Sanchez as one possibility for the Rockies. Sanchez, who had a strong case for a spot on the NL All-Star team, is making $3.7 million this year and will be eligible for free agency for the first time after 2012.
Baltimore’s Jeremy Guthrie, Houston’s Wandy Rodriguez and Cincinnati’s Edinson Volquez are a few other pitchers who could fit for the Rockies. I’d mention Minnesota’s Kevin Slowey as well, but as an extreme flyball pitcher, he’d likely have difficulties in Coors Field.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)