Jul 13, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
We’ve heard mixed things about this in the past, but Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona reports that the Diamondbacks have been told by Major League Baseball that they will not be asked to move to the AL as a part of any realignment scheme. That according to “two sources close to the situation.” He goes on to report — again, citing anonymous sources — that Astros have agreed to be moved to the AL West as a precondition of the sale of the team to Jim Crane.
The part about the Astros sale precondition contradicts a report by Ken Rosenthal last month. For their part, Diamondbacks’ management is on record saying they don’t want to move.
Magruder’s report was denied by current Astros owner Drayton McLane right after it came out, but then again (a) McLane is going to be out of the picture if and when this all goes down, so it’s not exactly his story to deny; and (b) he has an incentive to not look like he sold the Astros to someone who is going to mess with them.
For what it’s all worth, yesterday Bud Selig said that radical realignment is not really on the table at the moment. Union head Mike Weiner later said that it seemed more likely that realignment would be a 2013 thing, not a 2012 thing, so there’s no sense at the moment that anything is imminent.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 39
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 70
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (166)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)