Jul 13, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
We’ve heard mixed things about this in the past, but Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona reports that the Diamondbacks have been told by Major League Baseball that they will not be asked to move to the AL as a part of any realignment scheme. That according to “two sources close to the situation.” He goes on to report — again, citing anonymous sources — that Astros have agreed to be moved to the AL West as a precondition of the sale of the team to Jim Crane.
The part about the Astros sale precondition contradicts a report by Ken Rosenthal last month. For their part, Diamondbacks’ management is on record saying they don’t want to move.
Magruder’s report was denied by current Astros owner Drayton McLane right after it came out, but then again (a) McLane is going to be out of the picture if and when this all goes down, so it’s not exactly his story to deny; and (b) he has an incentive to not look like he sold the Astros to someone who is going to mess with them.
For what it’s all worth, yesterday Bud Selig said that radical realignment is not really on the table at the moment. Union head Mike Weiner later said that it seemed more likely that realignment would be a 2013 thing, not a 2012 thing, so there’s no sense at the moment that anything is imminent.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)