Jul 13, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
We’ve heard mixed things about this in the past, but Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona reports that the Diamondbacks have been told by Major League Baseball that they will not be asked to move to the AL as a part of any realignment scheme. That according to “two sources close to the situation.” He goes on to report — again, citing anonymous sources — that Astros have agreed to be moved to the AL West as a precondition of the sale of the team to Jim Crane.
The part about the Astros sale precondition contradicts a report by Ken Rosenthal last month. For their part, Diamondbacks’ management is on record saying they don’t want to move.
Magruder’s report was denied by current Astros owner Drayton McLane right after it came out, but then again (a) McLane is going to be out of the picture if and when this all goes down, so it’s not exactly his story to deny; and (b) he has an incentive to not look like he sold the Astros to someone who is going to mess with them.
For what it’s all worth, yesterday Bud Selig said that radical realignment is not really on the table at the moment. Union head Mike Weiner later said that it seemed more likely that realignment would be a 2013 thing, not a 2012 thing, so there’s no sense at the moment that anything is imminent.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (296)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)