Jul 13, 2011, 8:57 PM EDT
Royals closer Joakim Soria is under contract through 2014 at a rather affordable rate and the Royals haven’t so much as hinted at a desire to move him, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be hearing his name involved in trade rumors over the next few weeks. Crazy season is officially upon us.
With so many teams in contention here in mid-July and all of those teams seeking a reliable reliever, it’s possible that the Royals will get an offer they like.
So, just in case, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports brings us the six teams on Soria’s no-trade list: Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, Rockies and Braves.
The Yanks would certainly have interest if Soria were to be made available. So would any of the teams on the list, even the Dodgers. Which is why it’s important to note that Soria also has the power to accept any deal and override that no-trade clause. The 27-year-old boasts a sparkling 2.27 career ERA and 1.02 career WHIP.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105