Jul 14, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
While there are a lot of reasons why it makes sense for the Mets to trade Carlos Beltran, Sandy Alderson said yesterday that his trade is not a fait accompli. Rather, how the team plays in the next couple of weeks leading to the trading deadline will be the determining factor.
Hmm. I wonder if this isn’t just being said because some fans who may not be realistic about the Mets’ current competitive position need to hear it. The Mets are seven and a half out of the wild card right now and with their closer gone and Jose Reyes on the shelf — and with a tough stretch of schedule ahead — that number could be expected to grow. In Beltran they have the best bat currently known to be on the market. They could save a couple of million bucks and get a useful part or three if they move him.
Alderson may very well be waiting to see how the Mets play before making a decision. But I kind of doubt it.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)