Alderson: wins and losses will dictate what we do with Beltran

Jul 14, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT

Carlos Beltran Getty Images

While there are a lot of reasons why it makes sense for the Mets to trade Carlos Beltran, Sandy Alderson said yesterday that his trade is not a fait accompli.  Rather, how the team plays in the next couple of weeks leading to the trading deadline will be the determining factor.

Hmm. I wonder if this isn’t just being said because some fans who may not be realistic about the Mets’ current competitive position need to hear it.  The Mets are seven and a half out of the wild card right now and with their closer gone and Jose Reyes on the shelf — and with a tough stretch of schedule ahead — that number could be expected to grow.  In Beltran they have the best bat currently known to be on the market. They could save a couple of million bucks and get a useful part or three if they move him.

Alderson may very well be waiting to see how the Mets play before making a decision. But I kind of doubt it.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Alderson: “Not OUR wins and losses silly.”

2. sdelmonte - Jul 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Playing hard to get makes a little sense. He’s saying “you want Carlos, you will have to make a good offer. This isn’t K-Rod.”

3. yankeesfanlen - Jul 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Universe should get Beltran. I’ve seen enough Andruw Jones, bench time for him. We don’t have enough bats for the second half, the pitching will have to do and I hat Yankees games where we score less than six runs.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 14, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Who’s Universe? Is that some new GM that I am unaware of?

• b7p19 - Jul 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I hate that you hate when your team scores less than six runs. I love when my team scores three. Spoiled Yankees brats.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM

That encapsulates things well. Smug and condescending could work, and maybe sense of entitlement.

• Old Gator - Jul 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM

An exaggerated sense of entitlement.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Nah, seems about right.

4. halladaysbiceps - Jul 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I never believe a word that comes out of any GM’s mouth. They posture with each other and they all know it. Alderson knows that the Mets realistically have almost no chance of making the playoffs this year. I will be shocked if he and others are not dealt before July 31st.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I never believe a word that comes out of any GM’s mouth

Truer words have never been spoken

• icanspeel - Jul 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM

That is true, but it is the nature of being a GM. They’d be a bad GM if they were very honest and upfront to the public lol

5. Old Gator - Jul 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

This makes so little sense that it might have been spoken by the Chihuahua himself. We just traded away our effective closer and now wins and losses and our shot at the playoffs will determine whether we trade Beltran or not.

In the immortal word of Bill Cosby, r-r-right.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

“What’s a cubit?”

• Old Gator - Jul 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I see tiny little hairs gowin’ out mah face….

6. stackers1 - Jul 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

“An arc? You want to get it out of my driveway.”

• Old Gator - Jul 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Ark.

All together now:

Edit function!

Edit function!

EDIT FUNCTION!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3288)