Jul 14, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Hang with me for a little while. What follows involves some incredibly heavy math, and to be honest, you might as well just step away now if you didn’t take (and pass) at least two statistics courses in college.
OK, here we go…
My idea for a better All-Star Game is to make the break four days long and play the game on Wednesday.
I know, it’s revolutionary.
But half of the teams in baseball invariably seem to have a four-day break anyway. There are just seven games today. There were also seven on the Thursday following the break last year. There were eight in 2009.
So, extend the break one extra day and play the game Wednesday. Suddenly, every pitcher who threw on the Sunday before the break is again eligible to pitch. That would have brought Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Cole Hamels, Matt Cain and James Shields back into this year’s game.
Really, it seems like an easy call for baseball and I expect it to happen at some point within the next few years.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)