David Price sells out after giving up Derek Jeter’s 3,000th hit

Jul 14, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT

Derek Jeter, David Price AP

David Price has decided to cash in on serving up the gopher ball that went for Derek Jeter‘s 3,000th hit.  He’s agreed to a deal with Steiner Sports, Jeter’s official memorabilia dealer, to autograph collectibles, including some with the inscription, “I Gave Up DJ’s 3K.”

Those pieces and other memorabilia will be co-signed by both Price and Jeter.

Anyway, now we know what Price was really doing when he missed the All-Star Game due to “turf toe.”

1. riverace19 - Jul 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Grooving one for fame? It’s been done before.
    It’s only the second time someone has hit a HR for #3000 (Wade Boggs)
    I’m skeptical.

2. yournuts - Jul 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Matthew, your comment is really ridiculous. First of all the all-star game is a joke. If ball players don’t want to go or want to rest their minor injuries, they should be able to without criticism. For me, a long time baseball fan, I don’t care about the allstar game, it’s a farce. I don’t want anyone on my team to get injured playing in an exhibition game. The allstar game was the lowest rated game in television history. Another stupid thing is the home run derby. Who would want to stay home and watch this non-event?
    If a fan wants to buy something that is autographed then he has that right. I don’t blame the ballplayers for autographing baseballs if someone is interested in buying them. I’m not into hero worshiping but you have to admit that kids looking up to Derek Jeter is better than kids looking up to someone who is a druggie or womanizer.

3. gammagammahey - Jul 14, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Pitchers always say they don’t want to be on the short side of famous hits but deals like this might make it seem not so bad in the future. I don’t buy that Price grooved one to Captain Jeets but someone else might be motivated to consider doing something like that in the future. That said, Jeter’s accomplishment is likely to create more memorabilia than just about any other approaching counting stat milestone. I don’t think Mike Bacsik did as well in that department.

4. kingbuccaneer - Jul 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Judging by his reaction, DP did not groove anything. He threw his same fastball he’s thrown all year and Jeter tattooed it….

After a performance like that, in a moment like that, you have to respect that as an opposing pitcher.

• kiwicricket - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM

What he threw was 78mph and rotated slower than my Grandmother’s Goodyear’s. You might be a bit off with your call there.

5. yournuts - Jul 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

David Price threw a curveball on 3 and 2.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3230)