Jul 14, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
The Houston Chronicle’s Zachary Levine was lucky enough to get the following quote from Astros GM Ed Wade after asking him about the trade deadline this afternoon:
“We’re going to be viewed as a land of opportunity for teams to try to improve the teams that are in contention.”
Because of the huge firestorm about to erupt when Brett Myers is put up for bids?
As usual, Wade is a year too late. Myers likely would have netted an excellent prospect had the Astros made him available a year ago when he was 8-6 with a 3.10 ERA at the deadline. Instead, Wade signed him to a two-year, $23 million extension that he’d love to pawn off on someone else now. Myers is currently 3-9 with a 4.88 ERA.
The Astros only have three veterans with much in the way of trade value — Wandy Rodriguez, Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn — and they have no one ready to step in should they trade any of them. Outside of Jeff Keppinger, they don’t even have any role players likely to attract any interest from contenders.
So, Wade is probably doomed. The Astros have the worst record in baseball, and regardless of what Wade does this summer, they’re going to be the obvious favorites to finish last in the NL Central again next year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)