Jul 14, 2011, 6:57 PM EST
The Houston Chronicle’s Zachary Levine was lucky enough to get the following quote from Astros GM Ed Wade after asking him about the trade deadline this afternoon:
“We’re going to be viewed as a land of opportunity for teams to try to improve the teams that are in contention.”
Because of the huge firestorm about to erupt when Brett Myers is put up for bids?
As usual, Wade is a year too late. Myers likely would have netted an excellent prospect had the Astros made him available a year ago when he was 8-6 with a 3.10 ERA at the deadline. Instead, Wade signed him to a two-year, $23 million extension that he’d love to pawn off on someone else now. Myers is currently 3-9 with a 4.88 ERA.
The Astros only have three veterans with much in the way of trade value — Wandy Rodriguez, Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn — and they have no one ready to step in should they trade any of them. Outside of Jeff Keppinger, they don’t even have any role players likely to attract any interest from contenders.
So, Wade is probably doomed. The Astros have the worst record in baseball, and regardless of what Wade does this summer, they’re going to be the obvious favorites to finish last in the NL Central again next year.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 30
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)