Jul 14, 2011, 9:02 PM EDT
Down goes “Joey Bats.”
Bautista initially tweaked the ankle while trucking down the first base line and made it worse when he performed a hard slide into the third base bag. He made it off the field and into the Rogers Centre clubhouse under his own power, but he was limping badly and looked to be in a good amount of pain.
John McDonald entered to play third base.
Bautista, 30, was 1-for-2 with a walk before exiting. He was the leading vote-getter in this year’s All-Star balloting after opening the season with a 1.170 OPS, 31 homers and 65 RBI through his first 84 games.
UPDATE, 9:02 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Bautista only has a “twisted” ankle and is considered day-to-day. The third baseman is likely to sit out multiple games to be safe.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)