Jul 14, 2011, 9:02 PM EDT
Down goes “Joey Bats.”
Bautista initially tweaked the ankle while trucking down the first base line and made it worse when he performed a hard slide into the third base bag. He made it off the field and into the Rogers Centre clubhouse under his own power, but he was limping badly and looked to be in a good amount of pain.
John McDonald entered to play third base.
Bautista, 30, was 1-for-2 with a walk before exiting. He was the leading vote-getter in this year’s All-Star balloting after opening the season with a 1.170 OPS, 31 homers and 65 RBI through his first 84 games.
UPDATE, 9:02 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Bautista only has a “twisted” ankle and is considered day-to-day. The third baseman is likely to sit out multiple games to be safe.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 228
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (228)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (103)