Jul 14, 2011, 9:39 PM EST
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Thursday that outfielder Julio Borbon might need surgery to stabilize his badly sprained left ankle.
The 25-year-old landed on the minor league disabled list a few days before the All-Star break after having to be removed from a Triple-A game on a stretcher.
If Borbon undergoes the procedure, he would be sidelined for another six-to-eight weeks.
Endy Chavez took over starting center field duties in Arlington, Texas when Borbon was optioned to the minor leagues in early June. If Chavez now falters or suffers an injury of his own, the Rangers may have no choice but to turn to Cuban defector Leonys Martin. That is, unless Borbon avoids the surgery.
A former supplemental first-round pick, Borbon has registered an underwhelming .284/.324/.358 batting line through 745 career major league plate appearances. He does have 40 stolen bases in 53 chances.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)