Jul 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
In previewing what awaits the Marlins in the second half Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel writes that there’s “a good chance” closer Leo Nunez “is dealt before the July 31 non-waiver deadline.”
Rodriguez notes that Nunez has one more season of arbitration eligibility, but “it’s doubtful the Marlins will absorb his expected salary hike” from this year’s $3.65 million salary.
What he doesn’t write is that in addition to not wanting to pay Nunez upward of $5 million in 2012 the Marlins would also be smart to cash in a thoroughly mediocre closer for good value if they can.
In three seasons as Florida’s closer Nunez has saved 81 games in 99 chances with a 3.71 ERA and 169/63 K/BB ratio in 175 innings. He’s basically a solid setup man who’s been thrust into the closer role and has converted saves at an 82 percent rate, which is at the low end of acceptable for a closer.
If they can get a solid prospect for him because some other team focuses on his save totals they should jump at the opportunity and spend the second half figuring out which other reliever is capable of stepping into ninth-inning duties with similarly mediocre results. Closers are made, not born, and Nunez is a prime example.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)