Jul 14, 2011, 11:44 AM EDT
Padres general manager Jed Hoyer did a radio interview with XX-1090 in San Diego yesterday and had an interesting response to a direct question about whether he’s going to trade closer Heath Bell, saying: “At this point right now, I’m not certain.”
Hoyer also explained that ownership has not told him to trade Bell and noted that “it’s been a pleasure having him” on the Padres, but clearly his response indicates that Bell will be heavily shopped.
Not surprising, certainly, but when a GM does nothing to shoot down the possibility of a star player being traded within the next few weeks it’s safe to bump the odds of it happening up a bit.
In addition to Bell the Padres are also sure to get a ton of interest in setup man Mike Adams, who might actually have more trade value in some scenarios because he makes about half as much money and is under team control for next season, whereas Bell is an impending free agent.
Bell has said previously that he’d consider giving the Padres a discount to remain in San Diego long term, but assuming he’s not willing to take significantly less than he could easily get on the open market I expect him to be traded between now and July 31.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 76
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)