Jul 14, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
The Phillies have decided to give two of their aces some extra rest after their All-Star appearances and go with Vance Worley, Cole Hamels and Kyle Kendrick this weekend against the Mets.
Hamels, the Saturday starter, was supposed to join Halladay and Lee in the All-Star Game, but he was scratched because he pitched Sunday. He’ll be working on five days’ rest this week.
Halladay started and pitched two scoreless innings for the NL in Tuesday’s All-Star Game. Lee followed him to the mound and gave up the lone run scored by the AL while working 1 2/3 innings. He threw 25 pitches to Halladay’s 19.
To make room for Worley on the roster, the team is optioning Scott Mathieson back to Triple-A.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)