Jul 14, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
The Phillies have decided to give two of their aces some extra rest after their All-Star appearances and go with Vance Worley, Cole Hamels and Kyle Kendrick this weekend against the Mets.
Hamels, the Saturday starter, was supposed to join Halladay and Lee in the All-Star Game, but he was scratched because he pitched Sunday. He’ll be working on five days’ rest this week.
Halladay started and pitched two scoreless innings for the NL in Tuesday’s All-Star Game. Lee followed him to the mound and gave up the lone run scored by the AL while working 1 2/3 innings. He threw 25 pitches to Halladay’s 19.
To make room for Worley on the roster, the team is optioning Scott Mathieson back to Triple-A.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)