Jul 14, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
The Phillies have decided to give two of their aces some extra rest after their All-Star appearances and go with Vance Worley, Cole Hamels and Kyle Kendrick this weekend against the Mets.
Hamels, the Saturday starter, was supposed to join Halladay and Lee in the All-Star Game, but he was scratched because he pitched Sunday. He’ll be working on five days’ rest this week.
Halladay started and pitched two scoreless innings for the NL in Tuesday’s All-Star Game. Lee followed him to the mound and gave up the lone run scored by the AL while working 1 2/3 innings. He threw 25 pitches to Halladay’s 19.
To make room for Worley on the roster, the team is optioning Scott Mathieson back to Triple-A.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)