Jul 14, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Blue Jays prospect Brett Lawrie, who was on the verge of taking over as Toronto’s third baseman before suffering a fractured hand May 31, will begin a rehab assignment at Single-A Dunedin tonight.
Lawrie hit .354/.415/.677 with 15 homers and 49 RBI in 52 games for Triple-A Las Vegas before going down, and the common belief was that he was only a couple of days away from getting promoted to the majors.
Unfortunately, Lawrie’s six-week absence has seen circumstances change in a big way. The Jays were trying to get by with Jayson Nix, Edwin Encarnacion and John McDonald at third base before Lawrie got hurt. Now they’ve reinstalled Jose Bautista at his old position, and they have youngsters Travis Snider and Eric Thames playing well in the outfield corners at the moment.
Depending on how he comes back, Lawrie may have to wait until September for his promotion now. He could force his way onto the major league roster if he immeditely resumes hitting like he did during the first two months, but the Blue Jays are content with their corner situation as is. They might even decided to stick Lawrie in an outfield corner, given that he’s struggled so far with the adjustment to third base. Bautista, though he prefers to play the outfield, is the better defender of the two.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)