Jul 14, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Shortly after undergoing back surgery last month Pirates catcher Chris Snyder was in the car with his kids, being driven around by his wife, when they nearly collided with a man riding a scooter.
His name was Subhash Modhwadia and he followed them to a gas station, where the 44-year-old proceeded to scream at them, strike their car, and allegedly even took a swing at Snyder’s wife.
Snyder was helpless to do anything because of the recent surgery, but a bystander stepped in and then Modhwadia attacked him too, biting him and striking him.
And now Modhwadia has been ordered to stand trial in Pittsburgh for aggravated assault and criminal mischief, according to the Associated Press. He’s being held on $25,000 bail. Snyder should have plenty of time to testify, as he’s out for the season, and realistically Modhwadia was probably very lucky that the 6-foot-4, 250-pound catcher was out of commission at the time of the incident or an already weird story could have gotten very ugly.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)