Jul 14, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Shortly after undergoing back surgery last month Pirates catcher Chris Snyder was in the car with his kids, being driven around by his wife, when they nearly collided with a man riding a scooter.
His name was Subhash Modhwadia and he followed them to a gas station, where the 44-year-old proceeded to scream at them, strike their car, and allegedly even took a swing at Snyder’s wife.
Snyder was helpless to do anything because of the recent surgery, but a bystander stepped in and then Modhwadia attacked him too, biting him and striking him.
And now Modhwadia has been ordered to stand trial in Pittsburgh for aggravated assault and criminal mischief, according to the Associated Press. He’s being held on $25,000 bail. Snyder should have plenty of time to testify, as he’s out for the season, and realistically Modhwadia was probably very lucky that the 6-foot-4, 250-pound catcher was out of commission at the time of the incident or an already weird story could have gotten very ugly.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 21
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 107
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 104
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 96
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)