Jul 14, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero is out of the Orioles’ lineup tonight with a wrist injury that dates back to Sunday, when he was hit by a pitch in the game against the Red Sox that featured ejections (and later suspensions) galore.
Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that Guerrero isn’t even available off the bench and will be examined by a doctor, with Matt Wieters taking his place as the designated hitter and Craig Tatum replacing Wieters behind the plate.
Guerrero’s poor second half and abysmal playoff performance last season hinted that he was in the middle of a steep decline at age 36 and sure enough he’s hit just .279 with seven homers and a .700 OPS in 83 games after signing a one-year, $8 million deal with the Orioles, which is the worst OPS of his career by nearly 100 points.
It won’t be tough for the Orioles to replace that production, but in signing Guerrero they were no doubt hoping that he could help them stay in contention or at least fetch some decent value in a midseason trade and right now neither looks like it’ll happen even if the injury proves minor.
- Carlos Carrasco loses no-hitter with one out to go vs. Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)