Jul 14, 2011, 7:12 PM EDT
Say it ain’t so.
As expected, the Diamondbacks called up Brandon Allen and designated Juan Miranda for assignment Friday. They also made a second series of moves, activating Geoff Blum from the disabled list and designating The Man, The Legend, The Wily Mo Pena.
Pena goes despite hitting five homers in 46 at-bats for the Diamondbacks. Of course, those five homers came with just four other hits and a 19/0 K/BB ratio, giving him a ridiculous .196/.196/.522 line.
Still, one has to think that Pena showed enough to entice some American League team, right? His homers were lasers, and he hit an incredible .363/.439/.726 with 21 homers in 271 at-bats for Triple-A Reno before his callup.
Alas, the Diamondbacks simply didn’t see Pena as an outfielder and they didn’t see him making a real contribution while getting three or four at-bats per week as a pinch-hitter.
And they were probably right. But hopefully someone picks him up.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 7
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 133
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (132)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)