Jul 15, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus reports that A’s prospect Grant Green has been shifted from shortstop to center field at Double-A Midland tonight and that it’s more than a one-day experiment.
The move makes plenty of sense. Green, a 2009 first-round pick, has long appeared ticketed for second base, but the A’s seem to have a long-term solution there in Jemile Weeks. Green doesn’t have the lateral range to last at shortstop for the long haul, but he has enough raw speed to perhaps stick in center field for a few years. It’s worth trying before putting him at third base or in left field, where he’d have to be a bigger offensive threat to make it as a regular.
Green, 23, was the MVP as the U.S. team beat the World squad in Sunday’s Futures Game, but he’s had something of a disappointing season, having hit .284/.347.395 with just four homers and a 74/30 K/BB ratio in 324 at-bats in the Texas League. Last year, he hit .318/363/.520 with 20 homers in the California League.
The move to center won’t get Green to the majors this year. The best-case scenario has him forcing his way into Oakland’s plans with a couple of strong months in Triple-A at the beginning of next season.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)