Jul 15, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus reports that A’s prospect Grant Green has been shifted from shortstop to center field at Double-A Midland tonight and that it’s more than a one-day experiment.
The move makes plenty of sense. Green, a 2009 first-round pick, has long appeared ticketed for second base, but the A’s seem to have a long-term solution there in Jemile Weeks. Green doesn’t have the lateral range to last at shortstop for the long haul, but he has enough raw speed to perhaps stick in center field for a few years. It’s worth trying before putting him at third base or in left field, where he’d have to be a bigger offensive threat to make it as a regular.
Green, 23, was the MVP as the U.S. team beat the World squad in Sunday’s Futures Game, but he’s had something of a disappointing season, having hit .284/.347.395 with just four homers and a 74/30 K/BB ratio in 324 at-bats in the Texas League. Last year, he hit .318/363/.520 with 20 homers in the California League.
The move to center won’t get Green to the majors this year. The best-case scenario has him forcing his way into Oakland’s plans with a couple of strong months in Triple-A at the beginning of next season.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)