Jul 15, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus reports that A’s prospect Grant Green has been shifted from shortstop to center field at Double-A Midland tonight and that it’s more than a one-day experiment.
The move makes plenty of sense. Green, a 2009 first-round pick, has long appeared ticketed for second base, but the A’s seem to have a long-term solution there in Jemile Weeks. Green doesn’t have the lateral range to last at shortstop for the long haul, but he has enough raw speed to perhaps stick in center field for a few years. It’s worth trying before putting him at third base or in left field, where he’d have to be a bigger offensive threat to make it as a regular.
Green, 23, was the MVP as the U.S. team beat the World squad in Sunday’s Futures Game, but he’s had something of a disappointing season, having hit .284/.347.395 with just four homers and a 74/30 K/BB ratio in 324 at-bats in the Texas League. Last year, he hit .318/363/.520 with 20 homers in the California League.
The move to center won’t get Green to the majors this year. The best-case scenario has him forcing his way into Oakland’s plans with a couple of strong months in Triple-A at the beginning of next season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)