Jul 15, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus reports that A’s prospect Grant Green has been shifted from shortstop to center field at Double-A Midland tonight and that it’s more than a one-day experiment.
The move makes plenty of sense. Green, a 2009 first-round pick, has long appeared ticketed for second base, but the A’s seem to have a long-term solution there in Jemile Weeks. Green doesn’t have the lateral range to last at shortstop for the long haul, but he has enough raw speed to perhaps stick in center field for a few years. It’s worth trying before putting him at third base or in left field, where he’d have to be a bigger offensive threat to make it as a regular.
Green, 23, was the MVP as the U.S. team beat the World squad in Sunday’s Futures Game, but he’s had something of a disappointing season, having hit .284/.347.395 with just four homers and a 74/30 K/BB ratio in 324 at-bats in the Texas League. Last year, he hit .318/363/.520 with 20 homers in the California League.
The move to center won’t get Green to the majors this year. The best-case scenario has him forcing his way into Oakland’s plans with a couple of strong months in Triple-A at the beginning of next season.
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 7
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 24
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 43
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 94
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)