Carlos Marmol’s job is safe

Jul 15, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Carlos Marmol

Carlos Marmol lost his targeting last night, walking the ballpark, giving up five runs and blowing the game in the ninth.  Despite this, Mike Quade says that Marmol’s job is safe. Here’s Quade:

“That was pretty bad. That was as bad as I’ve seen him. Still, you feel he has a chance to pull it together but not tonight.”

It’s not like the Cubs have a better option. And it’s not like this means that Marmol is toast either. You’ll recall back on May 31st he had a similar meltdown against the Astros.  After that he went 16-straight appearances without giving up more than a single run, with most of them goose-eggs.  He’s dominant.  Everyone goes a little mad sometimes.

1. ja4ed - Jul 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM

No, they shouldn’t replace Marmol as the closer. But when he goes on another run of dominance, they should trade him. And they do have a replacement. Sean Marshall has been pretty awesome for the last year and a half. Actually, he’s been an excellent reliever throughout his entire career.

2. seanmk - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

sean marshall had an excellant 2 first months, but since june 1st hasn’t had the best of results. 4.22 era in 21.1 ip. 25K:5BB and 0 home runs is certainly nice though

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I had another premonition yesterday while at this game. Something told me and my friends to get the hell out of there in the seventh while the Cubs were up 2-0. It was much more hilarious to hear about ninth inning blow-up over the radio from my friend’s place, while chilling with funky Buddha and a side of barley and hops.

• normb11 - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Was it the fact that they cut off beer sales after the 7th :)

• The Rabbit - Jul 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM

To Mr. Bravo:

I was switching between games last night. I went back to the Cubs game in the 9th and saw the bases loaded and no one out. First thought: Oh crap! Marmol! He’s one of the closers on one of my fantasy teams. An infinity ERA outing does not help.

I decided to check his overall stats before I tried to replace him. Until last night when he and his ERA exploded, his raw stats weren’t markedly different from this year’s best closers, Kimbrel and Wilson. The percentage of saves to blown saves is the concern. I was actually surprised to see that he’s pitched almost as many innings as the other two. Just figured he’d have a lot fewer opportunities given the way Kimbrel was being utilized and the way the Cubs were playing.
      Conclusion-He’s better in fantasy ball than he appears to be in real life….but wouldn’t be unhappy if the Cubs decided to give Sean Marshall a shot at closing.

BTW – Mr. Bravo, if you are interested in joining a private fantasy league with us next year, (“us” being a few of the HBT commenters and some other equally demented fanatics) let me know. I’ll e-mail the details. I’m sure Craig will be kind enough to send you my e-mail address if you ask. I’ll also send you additional, updated “rules” for my umpire’s drinking game. :-)

4. Jonny 5 - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM

But he’s blown 7 saves this season. S-E-V-E-N. His job as closer is definitely N-O-T safe imo.

5. brianmoline - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I’m also of the opinion the Cubs should trade him this month if possible. Hopefully he has a few good appearances before July 31. His fastball velocity is down by more than 2 mph from last year, and he’s getting hit harder than he ever has. Get something of value for him before his arm completely goes out from throwing that slider on more than 80% of his pitches. The Cubs are in no position to be worrying about whether they have a good closer for the rest of this season. They need to acquire as much talent as possible.

6. Old Gator - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I’d be perfectly happy to leave him where he is for the next few days and then trade him.

• Old Gator - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Damn, hit “post comment”” again. Here’s the rest of it:

Preferably, trade him to the Mutts for a day, who would then turn around and trade him to the Padres for a few days, who would then trade him to the Mutts again, who would decide he’s not the answer to their cheapskate offloading of K-Rod, and trade him to the Gnats, who after four games would make him part of a five-player deal with the Braves, and that would bring us nicely to the trade deadline with the Feesh able to face him 14 times and climb past the strange attractor into the harsh glare of divisional reality again.

• Old Gator - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Oh wait a minute – I just got it.

Marmol’s job is safe. In other words, there will always be a closer’s job on the Cubs.

Marmol himself, though, may be well and truly shitcanned in the next few weeks.

Okay, that makes more sense – even for the Cubs.

7. foreverchipper10 - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I hope that last line is an omage to Scream when Neve Campbell finds out it is her boytoy Skeet Ulrich who is the culprit when he says “We all go a little mad sometimes.”

8. Old Gator - Jul 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM

All of creation is an homage to Neve Campbell.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5115)