Chien-Ming Wang looking good in minors, finally close to joining Nationals

Jul 15, 2011, 3:58 PM EST

wang getty wide Getty Images

Chien-Ming Wang hasn’t pitched in a big-league game since July of 2009 and has given the Nationals nothing in return for a pair of one-year contracts, but it sounds like he’s finally close to returning to the majors.

Wang tossed six shutout innings last night at Double-A, giving him a 1.00 ERA and .203 opponents’ batting average in 18 total innings in the minors.

Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com reports that Wang’s fastball was clocked as high as 94 miles per hour and adds that “at this point it seems hard to believe the right-hander won’t be in the majors soon.”

He speculates further that Wang could step right into the rotation if Jason Marquis is traded before the July 31 deadline, although even if that doesn’t happen you’d think the Nationals could find room for Wang in the rotation or the bullpen.

1. bigleagues - Jul 15, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Woah! Nice work Aaron!

BTW, I like revealing the fact that on my fantasy team this year I have had Adcock, Furbush and now Wang. The first two have come and gone. Wang, however, appears as though he’ll stick it out.

This is what happens to me when Howard goes on vacation for two weeks.

2. bigharold - Jul 15, 2011 at 5:30 PM

It’s ironic that Wang is closae to returning o the majors for a NL team.

After all, his breaking his foot while running the bases in interleague play was the begining of his trouble. I wonder if he’ll stay in the NL if he gets back and starts to show flashes of his old ability. Keep in mind this guy went 46-15 with a 3.74 era in the AL East over a 2.5 year period.

3. foreverchipper10 - Jul 15, 2011 at 5:55 PM

You can’t beat that Wang!

• bigleagues - Jul 15, 2011 at 6:01 PM

And his balls have a heavy sink to them.

4. gogigantos - Jul 16, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Here in Taiwan, there are a few anxious and excited fans. Often they asked and just as often I told them to just wait, he’ll be back. Yup, a few excited folks over here.
    I also told them often that I thought Wang made a mistake coming home initially after first hurting himself. I think he might have been back sooner if the Yankees had insisted that he stay around the team and rehab under supervision. Lazing around home didn’t do him or the Yankees much good. Really, I think the Yankees didn’t value him or his recovery as seriously as maybe they should have.
    I hope he comes back and pitches well for many more years yet, they should be very pleased to keep in Washington if they can.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester