Jul 15, 2011, 11:07 PM EDT
David Aardsma hasn’t thrown a pitch in the big leagues this season. And now it’s very likely we won’t see him again until latter part of the 2012 season at the earliest.
Greg Johns of MLB.com reports that Aardsma will undergo Tommy John surgery late next week in California. The 29-year-old right-hander has been rehabbing a sprained ulnar collateral ligament over the past two months, but surgery was deemed necessary following an MRI exam on Thursday.
Aardsma took to his Twitter account this evening to confirm the news.
Unfortunately my season is over. I guess I wasn’t meant to pitch this year. I will undergo elbow surgery next week.
I can say we’ve exhausted every avenue before we made this decision. But I WILL BE back and ready next year. Thank you all for your support.
Aardsma posted a 2.90 ERA and saved 69 games from 2009-2010. He injured his elbow in May while on a rehab assignment from January hip surgery.
Brandon League has run away with the closer’s job during his absence, posting a 3.44 ERA, 25/7 K/BB ratio and 23 saves over 36 2/3 innings this season. He was recently named to his first All-Star team.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 11
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 46
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 51
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)