Jul 15, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
Ortiz was pretty lucky to just get four games after charging the mound, even if Gregg encouraged him to do it, so it seems unlikely his suspension will be reduced on appeal. Nevertheless, he didn’t want to take what would have amounted to a week off by serving the penalty immediately after the All-Star break.
Ortiz said he did plan to go through with the appeal, rather than drop it at a more opportune time.
“After I go through the whole thing (I can address it),” Ortiz said when asked about the suspension. “I can’t really talk about it now. But at one point I will. I’ll tell you what I was thinking. I’ll tell you what I thought was right.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)