Jul 15, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
He’ll be joined there on the same day by teammate Jason Kubel, who suffered a sprained right foot on May 30. Kubel originally began a rehab assignment two weeks ago, but he experienced a setback and was put back on the shelf.
The plan is for Kubel to spend a few days at Rochester and rejoin the Twins next weekend. Span, though, will probably be on limited activity at first and could spend two weeks in the minors even if everything goes according to plan.
The return of both will give the Twins a tough call to make on Ben Revere. Revere, co-winner of AL Rookie of the Month honors with Jemile Weeks for June, has slumped of late and is down to .269/.307/.302 for the season. The Twins like the way he’s played center field, and one could argue they’d be better off with him playing regularly than with defensive liability Delmon Young in left field, but he might get shipped back to Triple-A anyway.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)