Fausto Carmona throws simulated game, declares himself “ready to go”

Jul 15, 2011, 11:51 AM EST

carmona hurt ap AP

On the disabled list with a quadriceps injury suffered while running the bases two weeks ago, Fausto Carmona threw a three-inning simulated game yesterday and declared himself “ready to go.”

He threw 50 pitches and is now on track to return from the disabled list Monday against the Twins, although as Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Carmona will have to pass a few more agility tests over the weekend first.

Getting Carmona back healthy and effective is a big key for the Indians’ chances of hanging in contention down the stretch. He bounced back from a terrible 2009 season to throw 210 innings with a 3.77 ERA last year, making his first All-Star team, but followed that up by going 4-10 with a 5.78 ERA in 18 starts prior to being shut down with the quadriceps injury, including 1-7 with an 8.20 ERA in his last nine outings.

Healthy or not, Carmona is a huge question mark for the second half.

1. jimbo1949 - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Yeah but can he run to 1st without tripping over his own feet, oh yeah, IL is over….never mind.

2. Old Gator - Jul 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I have to confess that I wish my mother had lived in Macondo long enough before I was born to have been Espanglished as thoroughly as I have been. I would love to have been named “Fausto.”

Fausto Carmona. Oh, what a great name. It just rolls off my forked tongue like a cross between music and the way I drool when I’ve got a mouthful of ceviche and one of those South Beach babes strolls by with her Scottish terrier.

Imagine if I had been named Fausto and my little brother had been named Hay-soos. You think we had fights? Shit. We could have gone cosmic with signification. We coulda been contenders.

3. RK - Jul 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Dear Fausto,

You do not have permission to comment on your own health. Unless it’s to say you have something season-ending. So shhhhhh.

Sincerely,
    Indians Fans

• tribester - Jul 15, 2011 at 5:18 PM

This.

4. ljl2 - Jul 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM

that health and 50 pitch count is going to do him great when he’s moved to the bullpen.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester