Jul 15, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Brandon Belt is healthy and crushing the ball at Triple-A, hitting .336 with a 1.026 OPS in 39 games, but rather than recall him the Giants are replacing Burrell on the roster with Hector Sanchez, a 21-year-old catcher who began this season at Single-A.
So instead of giving Belt a second chance to stick in the majors they’ll probably turn to postseason hero Cody Ross as the primary left fielder and use Sanchez to help replace Buster Posey behind the plate. Ross has predictably come back down to earth following his huge October, but his .270 batting average and .770 OPS represent upgrades over Burrell’s production and the defensive boost is substantial.
My guess is the Giants must believe Burrell’s stint on the DL will be relatively short term, because if the injury was a rest-of-the-season thing calling up Belt would seemingly be the better move.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)