Jul 15, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
The latest news on Ike Davis‘ ankle injury isn’t good.
He got a cortisone shot yesterday and is slated to undergo an MRI exam over the weekend, with season-ending surgery looming if he doesn’t show significant improvement.
I wouldn’t say pessimistic, but I would say in three weeks, by the rule of the injury, if I’m not taking steps to play in three weeks, there’s something structurally wrong. If I could avoid surgery–surgery is not fun and sometimes stuff doesn’t feel the same after. And I’m trying to do as much as I can, the cortisone shot is like a last-ditch effort to see if we can push forward without having the surgery.
What makes the multiple setbacks Davis has experienced all the more frustrating is that he was off to a great start, following up an impressive rookie season by hitting .302 with seven homers and a .925 OPS through 36 games. Daniel Murphy and Lucas Duda haven’t been able to come close to that production and in his lengthy absence the Mets have slipped to the middle of the pack in overall OPS at first base for the season.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)