Jeff Francoeur wants to be part of the Royals’ future

Jul 15, 2011, 11:34 AM EST

Kansas City Royals v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

Bob Dunn has a story in the Kansas City Star about Jeff Francoeur‘s place in the world at the trading deadline. Short version: he would prefer not to go:

“People keep asking me about it,” he said. “And what I say is I’m sure if a team came to the Royals and overwhelmed them (with an offer) for me or Melky (Cabrera), they’d probably have to do it. But you know what? I think a lot of us will be here … At some point,” Francoeur said, “we’ll talk to Dayton about the option. Maybe get a two- or three-year deal or something. I’ve told Dayton that I like it here. I’d love to stay here … Because … let’s say you trade me and Melky, you’re just starting over. If you’re trying to build something to go to the next level, at some point you’ve got to make a stand and keep guys.”

After a fast start, Francoeur is basically at his pedestrian career norms. Given how he always starts fast when he changes teams, you’d think he’d love a trade!

In all seriousness, though, the Royals are in a rather interesting position with this guy.  Contrary to what he implies, he is not one of those veterans a team regrettably lets go, suggesting no commitment to the future and he is not one of the guys whose retention would signal a brave new course for the Royals. It’s not Carlos Beltran circa 2004.

But he’s also not useless. In spring training I talked to some people at Royals camp who said they’d be utterly shocked to see him stay in Kansas City past 2011, but it’s not crazy that he could.  Maybe not on that $4 million option, but some way. There’s value to having a guy fill a position in a middling-to-average way. One less thing to worry about.

The key is what, if anything, a team would offer for him here at the deadline.  I have a hard time seeing someone offering a prospect who could be a starter in the next year or two. And if Dayton Moore can get no better — if it’s an organizational arm or some less-talented toolsy future corner outfielder —  isn’t having an amiable, partially useful and happy guy like Francoeur filling the hole preferable?

1. dodger88 - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Agreed, unless some team wants to overspend, each team needs useful guys (when deployed correctly) and a reasonable price to fill out their line-up. If you have someone in the minors with upside that is ready, then by all means create the opening, otherwise stick with the warm body you have unless someone wants to over pay you for their services.

2. seanmk - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM

royals are better off keeping francoeur since they don’t really have a RF guy ready yet. will myers will be around in 2012 at the earliest. melky though should be shipped off to let cain get some play at the major league level

3. cur68 - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Frenchy’s gonna play the second half like his hair’s on fire, you watch. Then, with his season’s numbers well above his lifetime’s averages, he’ll get a monster deal from a playoff contender…ok far fetched but not unlikely for a guy who seems to have the kind of luck that comes from a rodeo’s horseshoes shoved where the sun don’t shine.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM

So, what did you do in your time away from the board Cur?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM

HEY!!!!! Watch what you say about hair being on fire, please!!!!!

• cur68 - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM

You should fear the flame UH: all that shortnin’ slicked into you is flammable you know.

As for what i got up to while on sabbatical from HBT: re-wrote 4 chapters (mostly corrections), told supervisor and committee that I’ll be taking my talents to South Beach for my PhD so they can forget about me changing the masters, and put my house up for sale. Am now coming to you from my brother’s basement where my dog and I have until October to graduate, get a job and commence having just a rip roaring mid-life crisis. Sadly had to say goodbye to Carter, my other dog. He went with my ex-wife. I shall miss the big lug but am warmed by the thought of him chewing her shoes, humping her friends and drooling on everything in her fancy new place. I must confess losing him as my baseball watching buddy was real hard. He used to lie on my feat and bark every time I cheered a Bautista home run. Bella, my collie, doesn’t watch baseball, alas. Her contribution to ball games is lying on her back in bed and yipping in her sleep.

I hope you fellas are doing better than me; I am about one more crisis away from chucking all this crap and accepting a job in Hawaii or someplace really remote, like Bora Bora.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Dude, she took the dog? Harsh……kind of reminds me of the time I dated a girl, she had a tattoo “Life’s a journey” on her arm……and wanted me to put “Rest Stop” on my back……never figured out where we went wrong…….

If you need a covert retrieval, remember friend, my Heeler is just getting bigger and bigger…..and you know how well they fetch ;*)

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Sorry to hear all that Cur. Hey, hang in there buddy. Things will get better. I hated when people use to say that to me, but it is true. If one stays on the path and continues to do the next right thing, stuff has a way of working out. Okay, I am done with hackneyed cliches.

4. Jonny 5 - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Frenchy is coming to Philly. EGADS!

Ok, I didn’t hear this, but I’m preparing myself for the possibility. I don’t want to crap my pants if it happens. With Polly out and Gload a gimp, I wouldn’t doubt it though. He’s taking lefties to task right now.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Take it back, Jonny!!!

• Old Gator - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Trust me, you would rather worry about Frenchy coming to Feelie that about Ozzie coming to Macondo. Much rather.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Prepare to cheer on Frenchy Ut. It could be. Charlies loves Frenchy. Maybe He reminds of him of an old Creole friend of his or something, but he does.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM

OG, Amen to that, and whatever it is you say to praise your Buddha. But yeah, I like Ozzie and all, but from afar.

5. rejamaro - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Francour has been much better than advertised. He has played great defense. Hustles his butt off. Has been pretty solid with the bat. And has been a great club house guy. Really, what more can you ask for?

6. sportsdrenched - Jul 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I won’t say Frenchy is much better than advertised. But he’s been a lot better than I thought. He aggrivates me at the plate. But I think is D makes up for it. Of course you have to understand Royals fans just got done watch Jose Guillen in RF for 2.5 seasons.

If the Royals get something for him? Fine. If the Royals sign him to a longer term deal within reason. Fine.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5083)