Jul 15, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Justin Morneau would be cleared for baseball activities like throwing, hitting, spitting and thinking about hunting in the offseason, in about a week. From there it’s to a rehab assignment, though it would be optimistic to see him back playing before mid-August. Still, after the last year or two, anything other than “Morneau was killed in a combine accident” would have to qualify as positive news.
Still, given the less-than-spectacular nature of everyone in the AL Central, that may not be too late to make a difference for the Twins this season. I’m still bearish on their chances, but not everyone is. The return of Morneau would be pretty key for them.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (306)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)