Jul 15, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Justin Morneau would be cleared for baseball activities like throwing, hitting, spitting and thinking about hunting in the offseason, in about a week. From there it’s to a rehab assignment, though it would be optimistic to see him back playing before mid-August. Still, after the last year or two, anything other than “Morneau was killed in a combine accident” would have to qualify as positive news.
Still, given the less-than-spectacular nature of everyone in the AL Central, that may not be too late to make a difference for the Twins this season. I’m still bearish on their chances, but not everyone is. The return of Morneau would be pretty key for them.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)