Jul 15, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
Jeffrey Loria spoke to the media today for the first time since June and the Marlins owner was non-committal about retaining Jack McKeon as manager beyond this season, saying:
We’ll see where we are at the end of the year. There could be a number of candidates but right now Jack is the manager and we’ll see where it goes at the end of the year. There is a chance, of course. I’m not ruling anything out. But it will have to be somebody with experience. I’m not gonna allow a repeat of what happened this year.
McKeon has the market cornered on experience, obviously, and he’s successfully turned the Marlins around with a 12-8 record since taking over for Edwin Rodriguez.
Loria blamed Rodriguez and former hitting coach John Mallee for most of the pre-McKeon problems and was understandably full of praise for the 80-year-old manager, saying: “I mean, Jack, let’s face it, he’s brilliant. And I don’t care if he’s 180 years old. He’s got his hand on the pulse of this team and everybody on it.”
If the Marlins finish above .500–and they’re currently in last place at 44-48–it would seem like a no-brainer to offer McKeon the 2012 job as long as he’s actually interested in taking it. Throughout his career he’s never stayed in one place for very long and who knows what he’ll want to do at age 81. My grandpa is only a few years older than that and mostly just wants to nap and read obituaries.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)