Jul 15, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
Jeffrey Loria spoke to the media today for the first time since June and the Marlins owner was non-committal about retaining Jack McKeon as manager beyond this season, saying:
We’ll see where we are at the end of the year. There could be a number of candidates but right now Jack is the manager and we’ll see where it goes at the end of the year. There is a chance, of course. I’m not ruling anything out. But it will have to be somebody with experience. I’m not gonna allow a repeat of what happened this year.
McKeon has the market cornered on experience, obviously, and he’s successfully turned the Marlins around with a 12-8 record since taking over for Edwin Rodriguez.
Loria blamed Rodriguez and former hitting coach John Mallee for most of the pre-McKeon problems and was understandably full of praise for the 80-year-old manager, saying: “I mean, Jack, let’s face it, he’s brilliant. And I don’t care if he’s 180 years old. He’s got his hand on the pulse of this team and everybody on it.”
If the Marlins finish above .500–and they’re currently in last place at 44-48–it would seem like a no-brainer to offer McKeon the 2012 job as long as he’s actually interested in taking it. Throughout his career he’s never stayed in one place for very long and who knows what he’ll want to do at age 81. My grandpa is only a few years older than that and mostly just wants to nap and read obituaries.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 2
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 37
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 55
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 64
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)