Jul 15, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
Jeffrey Loria spoke to the media today for the first time since June and the Marlins owner was non-committal about retaining Jack McKeon as manager beyond this season, saying:
We’ll see where we are at the end of the year. There could be a number of candidates but right now Jack is the manager and we’ll see where it goes at the end of the year. There is a chance, of course. I’m not ruling anything out. But it will have to be somebody with experience. I’m not gonna allow a repeat of what happened this year.
McKeon has the market cornered on experience, obviously, and he’s successfully turned the Marlins around with a 12-8 record since taking over for Edwin Rodriguez.
Loria blamed Rodriguez and former hitting coach John Mallee for most of the pre-McKeon problems and was understandably full of praise for the 80-year-old manager, saying: “I mean, Jack, let’s face it, he’s brilliant. And I don’t care if he’s 180 years old. He’s got his hand on the pulse of this team and everybody on it.”
If the Marlins finish above .500–and they’re currently in last place at 44-48–it would seem like a no-brainer to offer McKeon the 2012 job as long as he’s actually interested in taking it. Throughout his career he’s never stayed in one place for very long and who knows what he’ll want to do at age 81. My grandpa is only a few years older than that and mostly just wants to nap and read obituaries.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)