Jul 15, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
Jeffrey Loria spoke to the media today for the first time since June and the Marlins owner was non-committal about retaining Jack McKeon as manager beyond this season, saying:
We’ll see where we are at the end of the year. There could be a number of candidates but right now Jack is the manager and we’ll see where it goes at the end of the year. There is a chance, of course. I’m not ruling anything out. But it will have to be somebody with experience. I’m not gonna allow a repeat of what happened this year.
McKeon has the market cornered on experience, obviously, and he’s successfully turned the Marlins around with a 12-8 record since taking over for Edwin Rodriguez.
Loria blamed Rodriguez and former hitting coach John Mallee for most of the pre-McKeon problems and was understandably full of praise for the 80-year-old manager, saying: “I mean, Jack, let’s face it, he’s brilliant. And I don’t care if he’s 180 years old. He’s got his hand on the pulse of this team and everybody on it.”
If the Marlins finish above .500–and they’re currently in last place at 44-48–it would seem like a no-brainer to offer McKeon the 2012 job as long as he’s actually interested in taking it. Throughout his career he’s never stayed in one place for very long and who knows what he’ll want to do at age 81. My grandpa is only a few years older than that and mostly just wants to nap and read obituaries.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)