Jul 15, 2011, 12:31 PM EST
Baseball people! They’re just like us!
Cubs manager Mike Quade had to fly home commercial after the All-Star Game in Phoenix on Tuesday night and encountered a traveler’s nightmare while dealing with Sky Harbor Airport’s security. Quade said Thursday the TSA detained him for about 40 minutes and patted him down twice while going through airport security. He finally was cleared without so much as a thank-you.
According to the story he didn’t play the “don’t you know who I am?” card. Probably because it’s extremely doubtful anyone would have known who he was. He said he did get a bit annoyed toward the end of the process, however, saying “I was a little bit belligerent late. I was glad I didn’t end up in Tent City with Sheriff Arpaio.”
I’m going to guess that Quade, a noted Rush fan, and thus likely a least a moderate fan of libertarian/Objectivist thought (or at least prog rock that skews that way) didn’t take too well to an airport security system in which the individual is not paramount in matters of justice and liberty.
“Next time I have to fly commercial, I will choose a path that’s clear, I will choose free will,” Quade did not add but probably thought. He then plugged into his machine for the day, watching Templevision and reading a Temple
Paper in the evening.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)