Jul 15, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
Baseball people! They’re just like us!
Cubs manager Mike Quade had to fly home commercial after the All-Star Game in Phoenix on Tuesday night and encountered a traveler’s nightmare while dealing with Sky Harbor Airport’s security. Quade said Thursday the TSA detained him for about 40 minutes and patted him down twice while going through airport security. He finally was cleared without so much as a thank-you.
According to the story he didn’t play the “don’t you know who I am?” card. Probably because it’s extremely doubtful anyone would have known who he was. He said he did get a bit annoyed toward the end of the process, however, saying “I was a little bit belligerent late. I was glad I didn’t end up in Tent City with Sheriff Arpaio.”
I’m going to guess that Quade, a noted Rush fan, and thus likely a least a moderate fan of libertarian/Objectivist thought (or at least prog rock that skews that way) didn’t take too well to an airport security system in which the individual is not paramount in matters of justice and liberty.
“Next time I have to fly commercial, I will choose a path that’s clear, I will choose free will,” Quade did not add but probably thought. He then plugged into his machine for the day, watching Templevision and reading a Temple
Paper in the evening.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 19
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 20
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (79)