Jul 15, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
Baseball people! They’re just like us!
Cubs manager Mike Quade had to fly home commercial after the All-Star Game in Phoenix on Tuesday night and encountered a traveler’s nightmare while dealing with Sky Harbor Airport’s security. Quade said Thursday the TSA detained him for about 40 minutes and patted him down twice while going through airport security. He finally was cleared without so much as a thank-you.
According to the story he didn’t play the “don’t you know who I am?” card. Probably because it’s extremely doubtful anyone would have known who he was. He said he did get a bit annoyed toward the end of the process, however, saying “I was a little bit belligerent late. I was glad I didn’t end up in Tent City with Sheriff Arpaio.”
I’m going to guess that Quade, a noted Rush fan, and thus likely a least a moderate fan of libertarian/Objectivist thought (or at least prog rock that skews that way) didn’t take too well to an airport security system in which the individual is not paramount in matters of justice and liberty.
“Next time I have to fly commercial, I will choose a path that’s clear, I will choose free will,” Quade did not add but probably thought. He then plugged into his machine for the day, watching Templevision and reading a Temple
Paper in the evening.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)