Jul 15, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
Baseball people! They’re just like us!
Cubs manager Mike Quade had to fly home commercial after the All-Star Game in Phoenix on Tuesday night and encountered a traveler’s nightmare while dealing with Sky Harbor Airport’s security. Quade said Thursday the TSA detained him for about 40 minutes and patted him down twice while going through airport security. He finally was cleared without so much as a thank-you.
According to the story he didn’t play the “don’t you know who I am?” card. Probably because it’s extremely doubtful anyone would have known who he was. He said he did get a bit annoyed toward the end of the process, however, saying “I was a little bit belligerent late. I was glad I didn’t end up in Tent City with Sheriff Arpaio.”
I’m going to guess that Quade, a noted Rush fan, and thus likely a least a moderate fan of libertarian/Objectivist thought (or at least prog rock that skews that way) didn’t take too well to an airport security system in which the individual is not paramount in matters of justice and liberty.
“Next time I have to fly commercial, I will choose a path that’s clear, I will choose free will,” Quade did not add but probably thought. He then plugged into his machine for the day, watching Templevision and reading a Temple
Paper in the evening.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)