Jul 15, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
Baseball people! They’re just like us!
Cubs manager Mike Quade had to fly home commercial after the All-Star Game in Phoenix on Tuesday night and encountered a traveler’s nightmare while dealing with Sky Harbor Airport’s security. Quade said Thursday the TSA detained him for about 40 minutes and patted him down twice while going through airport security. He finally was cleared without so much as a thank-you.
According to the story he didn’t play the “don’t you know who I am?” card. Probably because it’s extremely doubtful anyone would have known who he was. He said he did get a bit annoyed toward the end of the process, however, saying “I was a little bit belligerent late. I was glad I didn’t end up in Tent City with Sheriff Arpaio.”
I’m going to guess that Quade, a noted Rush fan, and thus likely a least a moderate fan of libertarian/Objectivist thought (or at least prog rock that skews that way) didn’t take too well to an airport security system in which the individual is not paramount in matters of justice and liberty.
“Next time I have to fly commercial, I will choose a path that’s clear, I will choose free will,” Quade did not add but probably thought. He then plugged into his machine for the day, watching Templevision and reading a Temple
Paper in the evening.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)