MLB splits up agitator umps Joe West and Angel Hernandez

Jul 15, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT

Terry Francona, Joe West, Angel Hernandez AP

Gerry Fraley points out something I can’t believe I missed: Major League Baseball has split up crew chief Joe West and over-zealous cohort Angel Hernandez to start the second half.

Hernandez has been moved on to Gerry Davis’ crew and switched spots with Sam Holbrook.

West’s crew had become notorious for hot-headedness this season.  In the eight days leading up to the All-Star break alone, they had issued six ejections.  Overall, they had ejected 17 players and managers despite already having a week-long break in June.  That’s five more ejections than any other crew had issued.

Hernandez is typically voted baseball’s worst ump whenever those kinds of polls come along, and while West’s reputation isn’t so bad, he has a long history of bumping chins given any provocation at all.  Hopefully, both will be a little calmer apart than they were together.

1. spookymilk - Jul 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM

The question is, will players be happy that they don’t have to deal with both at once, or annoyed that their chances are now double for seeing one or the other?

2. Richard In Big D - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I wonder if either of them is smart enough to recognizt that it’s not just the players, fans and media that think they fall short in their performance. West seems to just be a douchebag that has a need to display his authority as often as possible. Hernandez appears to react out of embarassment whenever he is questioned on one of his countless horrible calls. Hopefully, they will take the hint and either improve theirs skill and adjust their behavior, or find another line of work.

3. cur68 - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I was wondering what Angel was doing on this crew. Not the same without him and Cowboy Joe. I am paying way to much attention to the ball game and not the umps. Not used to that when I see Hernandez. He’s been uncharacteristically quiet while the Beavermen have duked it out with the Universe over the past 2 games, too. Not to fear though, Lord Dark Helmet (Gibson), was up to the chore of screwing up the balls and strikes from behind the plate tonight. Tichenor behind the plate tomorrow. Hope he has a discernible strike zone.

4. craggt - Jul 16, 2011 at 12:30 AM

They should both just be fired. They’re an embarrassment to the game. I only know the name of 3 umpires, Jim Joyce, Cowboy Joe West and Angel Hernandez. Joyce I’ll give a pass to because he’s supposed to be a good ump who made one bad call. However I think that any umpire who’s name I can remember should be fired, because if I know they’re name then they’re obviously doing something wrong.

• cavredleg15 - Jul 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM

I absolutely agree with you. Any umpire that I know the name of should be “reassigned” I don’t go to/watch games for the umpires. My top 3 are West, Hernandez and Davidson. I think after last season everyone knows the ump who blew the perfect game. I had never heard of him before then.

• The Baseball Idiot - Jul 16, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Good point. And if you know the name of any utility middle infielder, than the starter on that team should immediately be released for doing something wrong. Because if they were so good, you wouldn’t know the name of the back up.

Are you seriously trying to state that in the age of 24-hour mass media, you think you can avoid knowing about the names of anyone who does anything wrong?

I’ll bet you know the names of more team executives than you do umpires, but why? Team executives have less to do with on the field action than anyone else.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM

TBI, another one of your typical pro-umpire posts. You once again compare the UMPIRE to the PLAYER. I would rather watch a team full of backup middle infielders play tiddly-winks than watch Joe West, Angel Hernandez, or any other UMPIRE do what they do.

Joe West and Angel Hernandez are a disgrace to their profession and if baseball had any balls whatsoever, they would have fired those incompetent blowhards years ago. For you to continue to defend them is simple insanity.

5. hittfamily - Jul 16, 2011 at 6:59 AM

I dont hate their missed calls. I dont like it, but I can live with it. What I hate about these 2, West in particular, is how they handle the missed calls. They puff up their chests and refuse to even allow a conversation about the call in question. They are bullies. They are untouchable, and they know it. West has the idea that no one is worthy of questioning his crews calls.

The pic from above is from a game I was watching. I remember it because of how angry it made me. There was a clear blown call by Angel, and Terry Francona wanted an explaination, which was perfectly reasonable. West came running in from second base to cut off Francona. He had his chest puffed out and wouldnt let him near Angel, shuffling left, shuffling right, mirroring Francona’s every step. He was like an NBA guard playing lockdown defense. Francona had 2 choices, run West over, or leave the field without being able to speak to the ump who made the questionable call.

It was one of the most infuriating displays of overzealous umpiring I have ever seen. I hate the Sox, but I could feel Francona’s pain and frustration of being shunned. I hate watching games with West, but not because of how inept he is. I just dislike how confrontational he is.

6. msho1952 - Jul 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I would like to see MLB use the automated strike zone that is much more accurate than umpires and maybe just let the teams work out the calls on the bases and foul balls. Too many umpires seem to have an agenda. Most of them need to be replaced.

7. Old Gator - Jul 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM

A bit like splitting a two-headed rattlesnake all the way down its spine, really. You still have two pairs of fangs to deal with.

Okay, Friendo, it’s Saturday. Here’s your little mousey….

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM

This is like splitting Beavis and Butthead…all baseball has done is weaken another crew.

• spudchukar - Jul 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Yeah, what did Jerry Davis do?

8. danberman4 - Jul 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM

It’s about time these two were split up. Now, I hope they both are sent home for good after the season.

9. vikesfansteve - Jul 16, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Angel Hernandez had the ball bounce right in front of him & he called it foul. Send him to the minor leagues. Who wants to go to a game to see your favorite player & find out one of these 2 idiot’s ejected him in the first inning. Baseball umpires have too much influence over calls that absolutely determine which team wins. A couple of examples are the 85 world series. The WS where the Braves beat the Indians when pitches 6 inches off the plate were called strikes. Jeffrey Mayer catching Derek Jeter’s out that cost the Orioles a WS birth.

10. shea801 - Jul 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I don’t know the name of the guy Leslie Nielson satired in Naked Gun, but I knew the shtick.

I know Joe West and Angel Hernandez by name because of how much they’ve made their shtick apart of the game.

The former was goofy entertainment, and even made for a fun moment when an opponent was struck out or a big out occurred.

The latter just make the game frustrating, and aggravating.

That’s enough for me to know they shouldn’t ever umpire a game in MLB again.

11. tacklemeelmo - Jul 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I flip through the box scores every day and make sure I look at who the umpires were for each game. When I saw this my jaw hit the floor and I stood up and did a little dance. Its about time something was done. Yeah it wasn’t what we wanted, but at least a change was made.

Orioles turn AL East on its head