Jul 15, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
When the Nationals promoted Bryce Harper from low Single-A to Double-A two weeks ago there was speculation that they decided to have the game’s best prospect skip high Single-A altogether because of the terrible field conditions in Potomoc.
Mike Rizzo denied that was the case at the time, but yesterday the general manager issued a statement about what he called “dangerous field conditions” at Pfitzner Stadium:
The Washington Nationals would never consider asking our players, or those of our opponents, to play on a field that we believe represents a safety threat. The Nationals have repeatedly requested that dangerous field conditions be addressed under the supervision of Major League Baseball. Recent unsupervised work has resulted in a field that is even more dangerous. We regret any inconvenience this may cause to fans of the Potomac Nationals, but we know they join us in wanting only the best for our players.
I’m sure the quality of the playing surface wasn’t the sole driving force behind where the Nationals assigned one of the most valuable assets in all of baseball, but based on Rizzo’s statement it sure sounds like they would have been extremely hesitant to send Harper to “a field that we believe represents a safety threat.”
What a mess.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)