Jul 15, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT
According to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, the Angels have placed Peter Bourjos on the 15-day disabled list and recalled Alexi Amarista from Triple-A Salt Lake.
Bourjos has been sidelined since straining his right hamstring while running the bases last Thursday. While Craig wrote earlier this morning that the speedy center fielder was aiming to return to the lineup this weekend against the Athletics, Plunkett reports that he suffered a setback when his hamstring tightened up near the end of workouts Thursday.
The Angels would have likely kept top prospect Mike Trout with the team through this weekend regardless, but this latest development means he’ll stick around at least until Bourjos is eligible to return from the disabled list next Saturday. Trout is 1-for-9 with a walk over his first three games in the big leagues.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 33
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)