Jul 15, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Placido Polanco initially planned to play in the All-Star game instead of taking the time to rest his injured back, but he was eventually scratched from the NL’s lineup after meeting with Charlie Manuel and now the Phillies have put him on the disabled list.
Because the move is retroactive to Polanco’s last game on July 5 he’s eligible to return next week, but that seems unlikely given that he’s struggled while playing through the pain for much of the season.
Presumably this isn’t something that a little time off is going to fix, as Polanco ended the first half in a 0-for-15 slump and has hit just .183 in 29 games dating back to June 1.
Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez will split time at third base with Polanco out, which is the bad news. The good news is that the Phillies replaced Polanco on the roster by activating closer Ryan Madson from the DL, so their latest batch of health-related moves is at least a net gain.
Madson was dominant before injuring his hand in mid-June and his return in the first step toward what could be an outstanding Phillies bullpen down the stretch if Brad Lidge can return soon from his arm problems to join Antonio Bastardo and Michael Stutes in late-inning roles setup roles.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (92)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)