Phillies place Placido Polanco on DL, activate Ryan Madson

Jul 15, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Placido Polanco initially planned to play in the All-Star game instead of taking the time to rest his injured back, but he was eventually scratched from the NL’s lineup after meeting with Charlie Manuel and now the Phillies have put him on the disabled list.

Because the move is retroactive to Polanco’s last game on July 5 he’s eligible to return next week, but that seems unlikely given that he’s struggled while playing through the pain for much of the season.

Presumably this isn’t something that a little time off is going to fix, as Polanco ended the first half in a 0-for-15 slump and has hit just .183 in 29 games dating back to June 1.

Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez will split time at third base with Polanco out, which is the bad news. The good news is that the Phillies replaced Polanco on the roster by activating closer Ryan Madson from the DL, so their latest batch of health-related moves is at least a net gain.

Madson was dominant before injuring his hand in mid-June and his return in the first step toward what could be an outstanding Phillies bullpen down the stretch if Brad Lidge can return soon from his arm problems to join Antonio Bastardo and Michael Stutes in late-inning roles setup roles.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

What was the corresponding roster move? Very interested to see who they call up. Michael Martinez has actually been finding his footing since he has been getting consistent playing time and I expect him to receive a majority of the time.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Never mind about the corresponding roster move, I see what they did. They recalled Worley as expected and sent down Mathieson yesterday. I forgot that they were playing with an extra man in the days leading up to the break.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM

When they DL’d Polanco, they activated Madson to the 25 man roster. That’s the corresponding roster move.

As I suspected in my comments in the ATH thread, Polanco’s back is a major concern. If this will be the issue for the remainder of the year, I am not comfortable with Valdez/Martinez for any major lenght of time.

The Phils, in my opinion, need to get a power-right handed 3rd baseman to bat 5th and play everyday. Then, you move Polanco to the bench and use him as a pinch hitter and occasional starter at 3rd and 2nd. Doing this will not only get the power bat at 5th that they need, but also strengthen the bench as well.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I’m not sure what 3rd baseman are available, but that is an absolute option at this point in time. Hey, did you happen to notice that Joe Savery was promoted to AAA as a lefty out of the pen and got the W last night? Talk about a season and career full of twists and turns.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Joe Savery was promoted to AAA and pitching? No, I did not hear this.

I remember in the beginning of the season that he asked the Phillies to let him be a position player solely because it wasn’t working for him as a pitcher. Last time I checked he was tearing up AA pitching.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Yeah, promoted him a couple days ago. 2 innings, no runs, 1 hit last night for the Iron Pigs. I read a story a couple weeks ago that said he wanted to try pitching out of the pen last season, but due to AAA call-ups and injuries he was forced to continue starting. Might be a path to the bigs for him.

2. thephilsabide - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I don’t really see that happening unless it’s a half-year rental. Polly’s still got 1 year left on his contract and next year when he’s hopefully healthy he will be the starting 3B. So what would you do with the power hitting 3B? A rental would be nice but probably not worth the prospects at this point.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I’m not sure if Polly will even be 100% healthy next year. If you can get a major player at 3rd, the Phils can always find a taker for Polanco in the off-season. By doing a deal for a 3rd baseman this year, you would not have to worry about Polly’s health next year.

I think the Phils can kill two birds with one stone if they make the right deal.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:17 AM

The Phillies need a long term replacement a 3rd. They have nobody in the minors that looks ready to step in and play in the next couple years. Why not make a move now? Polanco could be used as an excellent utility player to spell the unnamed new 3rd baseman and Utley. Polanco’s body has betrayed him the past year and a half. I don’t see that changing playing everyday. Like I said above, I have no idea who is available…but it could solve a few issues.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Exactly. Believe me, Ruben’s gears are moving on this as we speak. When I get a chance, I will need to look through all 30 rosters to see what starting 3rd baseman right-handed bats are out there, young enough, and maybe could be had by the Phils.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I looked through the depth charts of 3rd baseman for teams who might be out of the play off chase in two weeks. The pickings are slim. Aramis Ramirez could probably be had, but he is 33 and not a long term answer. He would absolutely help in the short term though. Danny Valencia is 26 and could be a fixture in the Phillies line-up. He is only hitting .235 this season but has some pop….not sure if the Twins would be likely to trade him though. I’ve though for a few years that the Phillies should look into David Wright, but the Mets won’t trade him to Philadelphia.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I have no problem with Aramis Ramirez. He fits in with what the Phillies need. .298/15/51 rbi’s. I’m on the phone with Amaro Jr. now to tell him.

• CJ - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM

There were rumors about Michael Young going to Philly in the pre-season. Is Texas still willing to move him? I’m not sure how many years are left on his deal, but he’s a righty with some pop (8 HRs, 60 RBI), good average (.325) and bats righty. He plays 2nd and 3rd, but I believe he’s played outfield in the past, or at least has expressed a willingness to do so. If I’m remembering that correctly, he could also spell Rauuuuul/Brown/Mayberry when Polanco is healthy.

Not exactly the long term replacement at third that would be ideal (I’d prefer Wright but admittedly that’s a pipe dream), but if he only has a year or two left, it would make a good bit of sense if the price was right.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, CJ, Michael Young is another good player. I just don’t know if the Rangers would be willing to let him loose, considering they are in 1st place. I really don’t see that happening.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Young would be a major hit on payroll, anyway—though he could, and has, played just about everywhere on the field.

• CJ - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Point taken Dr., but the Rangers made it to the WS last year and still looked at trading him after the addition of Beltre. I’m not sure if that would be any different at this point, given that they’re pretty much where they expected to be in the standings at the break. Young’s only DHing there at the moment, and they have another big bat on the bench that could DH in Napoli.

Granted, Napoli’s numbers (save for homers) are generally a lot lower than Young but he hasn’t had nearly as many opportunities to play (less than 1/2 the # of ABs as Young) and had injury issues earlier in the season. If he gets the chance to hit every day, I don’t think they’d have a tremendous drop-off there. And if they pick up a useful piece or two for their playoff run in a trade with the Phils, it may make sense for them to pull the trigger.

• CJ - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM

sorry ‘cepts, I got the handles mixed up.

Utley, yeah I never said Young would come cheap. But if Polanco is down for a while, they may not have a choice but to spend more than they wanted to if they want to make another run this year.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Also, the Walkers were shopping him early on this year, because he made it pretty clear that he wanted out. As far as I can see, he’s dialed that back a lot.

3. thephilsabide - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:29 AM

It’s definitely a viable option, I just think it will be hard to pull off without spending too much. And for once, I believe RAJ and company are worried about that. With power is going to come an inflated contract and unless the other team throws in some cash, it’ll be tough. Regardless, the next 15 days should be interesting. My guess is a relatively cheap, RH outfielder to split time with Raul and Brown. But who knows.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM

What do you guys think it would cost to get Aramis Ramirez? He has around 5 million left on his contract this year and is a FA at the end of the season.

4. Utley's Hair - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Well, this move puts off the decision on whether Polanco should go into the 5-hole—if only for a week or so.

—Sigh—

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Hey Utley’s Hair, what’s going on? I don’t know about Polanco, I just don’t know. I agree with ‘Bicepts about this; I’m not sure Polanco is going to be healthy enough to be a key contributor ever again. Need a replacement. If not now, then in the offseason.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Hey, Dr. I’m hangin’ in. Thanks.

Doe we know whether this needs surgery? Or can it be addressed—in the short term, anyway—with cortisone shot(s)?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I know they were discussing a cortisone shot, but I am not sure if he got one or is going to get one. Surgery doesn’t appear to be necessary at this point, but it seems like an injury that is going to linger and have a detrimental impact upon his performance.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Polanco received the same type of shot that Oswalt received. He has the same disc issue as him. Polanco received the shot prior to the All-Star break. Still did not help him, I guess.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM

That is a real problem then. Yeah, I think a prolonged Polanco absence makes a move for a decent right handed hitter necessary.

5. thephilsabide - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Probably 2-3 decent prospects and eating his salary. The Cubs will definitely want some pitching in return. The problem is, every team knows how much the Phillies need this RH bat. So they’re going to put up a fight in any kind of trade with the likes of Ramierez in it. He would be nice to have for the stretch run and playoffs but like I said, at what cost?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I’d give up one of the “Baby Aces” not named Jared Cozart and another prospect not named Jonathan Singleton or Sebastian Valle for Ramirez.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Here’s what Ruben should offer the Cubs for Aramis Ramirez:

Dannys Baez, David Herndon and Mike Zagurski.

What do you think?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I think the Cubs might hold out for Drew Carpenter or Dane Sardinha. Speaking of the other Hawaiian, I sincerely hope when the inevitable injury happens to Schneider or Chooch that they call up the Iron Pigs #1 Kratz.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Doctor,

You know I was joking about that trade proposal I made.

• CJ - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Come on, that’s not a fair deal! Add in Blanton, Lidge and Ibanez to the deal above…that should be enough to get Ramirez AND Soriano and fill 3rd and OF.

Of course, they’ll probably wants at least some sort of “prospect” from the farm in such a deal. I’m sure Delwyn Young would do.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Here’s another proposal for Aramis Ramirez:

Ben Francisco, Pete Orr and Brian Bocock.

What do you think about that one?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM

As I have said before, Bocock is better than Nocock.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Of course I knew you were joking.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I think NinJr. would get a counteroffer of deep dish pizza from the Cubbies for that trio. Sure, Blanton would be happy, but….

6. thephilsabide - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Did anyone see Cody Ransom on the AAA All-Star game? 25 dingers and 85 RBI for the Reno Aces. That looks swell right about now.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I did notice that and thought the same thing for a second….then I remembered he sucked and is 35.

7. thephilsabide - Jul 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM

True. Haha. I’ll always remember he hit the tying homerun in that wild comeback against the Reds last year before the ASB where they scored like 4 or 5 in the 9th and then won it in the 10th. Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

8. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Word is that a ton of scouts are heading to Clearwater to see the “Baby Aces”. To me, that implies that something must be in the works. I don’t think they will trade any of them for a short term chump. I have a feeling that something big is in the works. Obviously don’t know what it is, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that make a serious move.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

But…but…but…Rube said there wouldn’t be any major moves made… Do you mean to tell me that was untrue? That he’s doing something ninja-like?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

That’s right…the quiet assassin will strike again. I can’t even fathom the target he is going after, but he is working on something. I don’t buy the payroll maxed out stuff.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM

You could be right, Doctor. However, I don’t think it is too unusual at this time of year for scouts of all teams to be sent out to look at other teams major prospects. The Phils themselves will be, if they haven’t already, sending out scouts to various MLB parks to see players that they are interested in aquiring.

There is no substitution for seeing a guy in person.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Yeah, I was going to post something of a similar ilk. However, it seems to be making quite a bit of noise on twitter from national writers. Hence, I am making the supposition that there is something to it. Of course this is mere conjuncture on my part….probably aided by boredom and a fanciful imagination.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I know what you mean. 2nd half of July is always exciting to see that they do as the trade deadline nears. I like st speculate as well. Which writer or writers are reporting it, Good Doctor?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I believe Jerry Crasnick was the first to report it.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Thanks, Doctor. I saw it. Buster “Always Wrong” Olney is also reporting that the Phils concentration is on one of San Diego’s 3 relievers.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I saw that too. Of the three, I would like to see Mike Adams. He is good. I’m not sold on Qualls or Bell.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4741)