Jul 15, 2011, 9:46 PM EDT
Toronto scored eight runs in the first off Bartolo Colon on the way to a 16-7 win last night.
“I’m not bothered by it,” he said. “I was more angry at myself for figuring it out too late and changing them too late. The game was almost out of hand at that point.”
Martin said runners at second base were tipping off hitters by turning their heads one way for a fastball and the other way for an offspeed pitch.
“The reason why you put multiple signs down is so they’re not able to relay, and that type of stuff,” Martin said. “There’s a reason why you just use one when there’s nobody on, and multiple when there’s people on.”
Martin said he finally figured it out in the fourth and set up a new series of signs with pitcher Hector Noesi.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)