Jul 15, 2011, 9:46 PM EDT
Toronto scored eight runs in the first off Bartolo Colon on the way to a 16-7 win last night.
“I’m not bothered by it,” he said. “I was more angry at myself for figuring it out too late and changing them too late. The game was almost out of hand at that point.”
Martin said runners at second base were tipping off hitters by turning their heads one way for a fastball and the other way for an offspeed pitch.
“The reason why you put multiple signs down is so they’re not able to relay, and that type of stuff,” Martin said. “There’s a reason why you just use one when there’s nobody on, and multiple when there’s people on.”
Martin said he finally figured it out in the fourth and set up a new series of signs with pitcher Hector Noesi.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)