Jul 15, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Ryan Dempster was not happy about Cubs manager Mike Quade pulling him from Saturday’s start after the fifth inning and the two had an extended screaming match, but it sounds like they’ve patched things up.
Here’s what Quade told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune:
Everything is fantastic. I was going to tell you about the conversation I had with my girlfriend last night too, but that’s off limits as well. That’s part of being at this level, not just in this town. And it’s OK.
Dempster declined to comment yesterday and Sullivan notes that he was “unapologetic” when talking previously about the incident, but he’s scheduled to start tomorrow and Quade at least seems to be over it.
Adding to the drama is that Dempster was one of Quade’s biggest supporters when the Cubs were deciding whether or not to make him the full-time manager, and with the team already out of contention at 37-56 and Quade under fire it’d be nice to have Dempster back on his side again. He might have bigger problems, after all.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 21
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)