Jul 15, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Ryan Dempster was not happy about Cubs manager Mike Quade pulling him from Saturday’s start after the fifth inning and the two had an extended screaming match, but it sounds like they’ve patched things up.
Here’s what Quade told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune:
Everything is fantastic. I was going to tell you about the conversation I had with my girlfriend last night too, but that’s off limits as well. That’s part of being at this level, not just in this town. And it’s OK.
Dempster declined to comment yesterday and Sullivan notes that he was “unapologetic” when talking previously about the incident, but he’s scheduled to start tomorrow and Quade at least seems to be over it.
Adding to the drama is that Dempster was one of Quade’s biggest supporters when the Cubs were deciding whether or not to make him the full-time manager, and with the team already out of contention at 37-56 and Quade under fire it’d be nice to have Dempster back on his side again. He might have bigger problems, after all.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)