Jul 15, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero hasn’t played since being plunked on the right hand as part of the Orioles-Red Sox brouhaha Sunday and Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that X-rays revealed a small “crack” in the hand.
Guerrero was hoping to play through the injury and perhaps even rejoin the Orioles’ lineup tonight, but “couldn’t get through batting practice” this afternoon.
Zrebiec speculates that he’ll be given 24-48 hours to show significant improvement before a stint on the disabled list, but at this stage of Guerrero’s career it doesn’t make much sense to have him playing at anything less than 100 percent.
He’s hit just .279 with a .700 OPS for by far the worst production of his career and a few weeks off may do the 36-year-old some good either way, particularly since any thoughts of the Orioles getting value for him at the trade deadline are probably out the window now anyway.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)