Jul 15, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero hasn’t played since being plunked on the right hand as part of the Orioles-Red Sox brouhaha Sunday and Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that X-rays revealed a small “crack” in the hand.
Guerrero was hoping to play through the injury and perhaps even rejoin the Orioles’ lineup tonight, but “couldn’t get through batting practice” this afternoon.
Zrebiec speculates that he’ll be given 24-48 hours to show significant improvement before a stint on the disabled list, but at this stage of Guerrero’s career it doesn’t make much sense to have him playing at anything less than 100 percent.
He’s hit just .279 with a .700 OPS for by far the worst production of his career and a few weeks off may do the 36-year-old some good either way, particularly since any thoughts of the Orioles getting value for him at the trade deadline are probably out the window now anyway.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)