Jul 15, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero hasn’t played since being plunked on the right hand as part of the Orioles-Red Sox brouhaha Sunday and Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that X-rays revealed a small “crack” in the hand.
Guerrero was hoping to play through the injury and perhaps even rejoin the Orioles’ lineup tonight, but “couldn’t get through batting practice” this afternoon.
Zrebiec speculates that he’ll be given 24-48 hours to show significant improvement before a stint on the disabled list, but at this stage of Guerrero’s career it doesn’t make much sense to have him playing at anything less than 100 percent.
He’s hit just .279 with a .700 OPS for by far the worst production of his career and a few weeks off may do the 36-year-old some good either way, particularly since any thoughts of the Orioles getting value for him at the trade deadline are probably out the window now anyway.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)