Ben Revere is just showing off

Jul 16, 2011, 1:45 PM EST

Ben Revere

Though it was ultimately overshadowed by Matt Cappslatest ninth-inning meltdown, Twins’ rookie outfielder Ben Revere did something pretty incredible while legging out a triple in the sixth inning last night against the Royals.

Revere pulled a pitch into the right field corner and was off like a shot. He lost his footing between second and third base, but was somehow able to fall into a perfect somersault and arrive safely ahead of the relay throw. Check out the video below.

It’s your move, Jose Reyes.

1. normswifevera - Jul 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM

“Though it was ultimately overshadowed by Matt Cappsā€˜ latest ninth-inning meltdown”

Why so negative? Why not say “Though it was ultimately overshadowed by fellow rookie Eric Hosmer crushing a game-winning home run to dead center field”?

• D.J. Short - Jul 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Two ways to look at it, I guess. I’m thinking from the Twins’ perspective.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

That’s ok DJ. Everyone will be thinking from the Royals perspective in 2013! By then it will be routine for Hosmer to hit game winning bombs.

• JBerardi - Jul 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I don’t understand why there’s so many thumbs down on this comment. People should absolutely be excited about the emergence of a hitter as talented as the Hos.

2. chadjones27 - Jul 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I did that once in my old-guy softball league… except it wasn’t a triple and I wasn’t rounding second base… I was walking to the batter’s box

3. Old Gator - Jul 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM

By all means let him show off. I’m not spending twenty bucks to sit in the hot sun and be bored. Frankly, it annoys me more when a guy who has just entertained me by stretching himself past his limits is criticized for transgressing some pole-up-the-asshole “unwritten” rule.

• ljl2 - Jul 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM

good thing someone, somewhere thought this was on purpose to show off. tool.

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM

ljl2; Ever been told that reading interpretation isn’t your strong suit? The Author, D.J. Short, called the tumble ‘showing off’. All Gator’s doing is replying to that. As for ‘tool’, well maybe save that for when he really transgresses about something. Like if, say, you express pro-Palin or Tea Party sentiment. Then I guarantee you he’ll say something to you where you might, legitimately, have cause to refer to him as a ‘tool’. However then a goodly number of people will refer to you in similar terms and likely worse, present company included. Do let me know if you have trouble with what I wrote. I’ll make an effort to single syllable you an interpretation, there’s a good chap.

• Old Gator - Jul 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Hmmm…why would somebody who thinks someone showing off on purpose is a “tool” be a Palin supporter? Cognitive dissonance! Cognitive dissonance! Cognitive dissonance!

• JBerardi - Jul 16, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Revere wasn’t showing off. He was just doing this as a warning to the British.

4. gammagammahey - Jul 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM

When did MLB start allowing video embedding?

• D.J. Short - Jul 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Within the past month or so.

5. 4d3fect - Jul 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

–Vin Scully voice–“Just when you think you’ve seen everything….”

6. kiwicricket - Jul 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM

8.5 9 8.5 8 7.5 8 and the Russian judge creates controversy by awarding a 5.

• Andrew - Jul 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Your comment makes me think of an overused quote from MLB: The Show after making a fantastic defensive play.

“…and even the East German judge gives that a 10!”

7. ljl2 - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:55 AM

cur68 – I know the title of the story was sarcasm, I was referring to Gator’s literal response to something that was meant to be fun. While he may or may not have been being literal, it was how I read it and responded. The political stuff, while it may be important in your life, has no bearing in this conversation. Especially, since you brought it out of left field and it has nothing to do with what I said or anything that could be inferred about my beliefs (including the fact that it goes completely against the grain of my beliefs to even consider anything to do with Palin or the Tea Party to be a positive).

PS – The idea that using smaller syllable words makes something easier to understand shows the lack of grasp of the English language. While I appreciate the effort to come off sounding intelligent and/or witty, the idea that size of words has anything to do with coherence is laughable.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5838)