Jul 16, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Bobby Jenks has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with back tightness. He felt discomfort warming up last night in the same area that sent him to the disabled list last month. This is his third trip to the DL this season.
Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein envisioned Jenks as a shutdown set-up man alongside Daniel Bard when he signed him a two-year, $12 million contract over the winter, but he’s been a massive disappointment so far this season. The 30-year-old right-hander has been limited to just 19 appearances, posting an ugly 6.32 ERA and 17/13 K/BB ratio over 15 2/3 innings.
In corresponding roster moves, the Red Sox have purchased the contract of left-hander Randy Williams from Triple-A Pawtucket and designated fellow southpaw Tommy Hottovy for assignment. Williams, 35, had a 1.29 ERA and 26/11 K/BB ratio over 21 innings with the PawSox. He has a 5.74 ERA over 90 major league appearances.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 4
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)