Jul 16, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Bobby Jenks has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with back tightness. He felt discomfort warming up last night in the same area that sent him to the disabled list last month. This is his third trip to the DL this season.
Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein envisioned Jenks as a shutdown set-up man alongside Daniel Bard when he signed him a two-year, $12 million contract over the winter, but he’s been a massive disappointment so far this season. The 30-year-old right-hander has been limited to just 19 appearances, posting an ugly 6.32 ERA and 17/13 K/BB ratio over 15 2/3 innings.
In corresponding roster moves, the Red Sox have purchased the contract of left-hander Randy Williams from Triple-A Pawtucket and designated fellow southpaw Tommy Hottovy for assignment. Williams, 35, had a 1.29 ERA and 26/11 K/BB ratio over 21 innings with the PawSox. He has a 5.74 ERA over 90 major league appearances.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 47
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)