Jul 16, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Bobby Jenks has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with back tightness. He felt discomfort warming up last night in the same area that sent him to the disabled list last month. This is his third trip to the DL this season.
Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein envisioned Jenks as a shutdown set-up man alongside Daniel Bard when he signed him a two-year, $12 million contract over the winter, but he’s been a massive disappointment so far this season. The 30-year-old right-hander has been limited to just 19 appearances, posting an ugly 6.32 ERA and 17/13 K/BB ratio over 15 2/3 innings.
In corresponding roster moves, the Red Sox have purchased the contract of left-hander Randy Williams from Triple-A Pawtucket and designated fellow southpaw Tommy Hottovy for assignment. Williams, 35, had a 1.29 ERA and 26/11 K/BB ratio over 21 innings with the PawSox. He has a 5.74 ERA over 90 major league appearances.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)