Jul 16, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Bobby Jenks has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with back tightness. He felt discomfort warming up last night in the same area that sent him to the disabled list last month. This is his third trip to the DL this season.
Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein envisioned Jenks as a shutdown set-up man alongside Daniel Bard when he signed him a two-year, $12 million contract over the winter, but he’s been a massive disappointment so far this season. The 30-year-old right-hander has been limited to just 19 appearances, posting an ugly 6.32 ERA and 17/13 K/BB ratio over 15 2/3 innings.
In corresponding roster moves, the Red Sox have purchased the contract of left-hander Randy Williams from Triple-A Pawtucket and designated fellow southpaw Tommy Hottovy for assignment. Williams, 35, had a 1.29 ERA and 26/11 K/BB ratio over 21 innings with the PawSox. He has a 5.74 ERA over 90 major league appearances.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)