Jul 16, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
The Brewers have already made an upgrade to their bullpen, acquiring late-innings reliever Francisco Rodriguez last week in a trade with the Mets. Now they’re looking for more offense at third base.
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Brewers have “talked with the Royals” recently about acquiring corner infielder Wilson Betemit, who has hit .285/.345/.415 across 288 plate appearances this year and boasts a productive .835 OPS over the past two seasons.
Betemit, 29, is making just $1 million this season and shouldn’t require a major return of talent in a trade.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (127)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (101)