Jul 16, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
The Brewers have already made an upgrade to their bullpen, acquiring late-innings reliever Francisco Rodriguez last week in a trade with the Mets. Now they’re looking for more offense at third base.
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Brewers have “talked with the Royals” recently about acquiring corner infielder Wilson Betemit, who has hit .285/.345/.415 across 288 plate appearances this year and boasts a productive .835 OPS over the past two seasons.
Betemit, 29, is making just $1 million this season and shouldn’t require a major return of talent in a trade.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)