Jul 16, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
The Brewers have already made an upgrade to their bullpen, acquiring late-innings reliever Francisco Rodriguez last week in a trade with the Mets. Now they’re looking for more offense at third base.
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Brewers have “talked with the Royals” recently about acquiring corner infielder Wilson Betemit, who has hit .285/.345/.415 across 288 plate appearances this year and boasts a productive .835 OPS over the past two seasons.
Betemit, 29, is making just $1 million this season and shouldn’t require a major return of talent in a trade.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45