Jul 16, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
As expected, the Tigers have activated Carlos Guillen from the 60-day disabled list. He’ll bat seventh and play second base this afternoon against the White Sox.
Guillen hasn’t played in the major leagues this season following microfracture surgery on his right knee last September. The 35-year-old batted .318 (12-for-38) with one home run and eight RBI over 12 games with Triple-A Toledo during his minor league rehab assignment.
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told Chris Iott of MLive.com that he’s hoping Guillen can represent an upgrade offensively.
“We’re expecting him to play well for us and contribute offensively,” Dombrowski said. “It’s up to Jim (Leyland) when he plays him, of course, but we’re bringing him back to play second base the majority of the time.”
Tigers’ second basemen have combined to bat just .241/.301/.334 with six homers and a .635 OPS this season.
Guillen’s return actually works out quite nicely for the Tigers, who have a couple weeks to see whether he can actually handle playing second base on a regular basis. If not, they could eventually move him into a platoon with Brandon Inge at third and pick up a second baseman before the July 31 trade deadline.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)