Jul 16, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
As expected, the Tigers have activated Carlos Guillen from the 60-day disabled list. He’ll bat seventh and play second base this afternoon against the White Sox.
Guillen hasn’t played in the major leagues this season following microfracture surgery on his right knee last September. The 35-year-old batted .318 (12-for-38) with one home run and eight RBI over 12 games with Triple-A Toledo during his minor league rehab assignment.
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told Chris Iott of MLive.com that he’s hoping Guillen can represent an upgrade offensively.
“We’re expecting him to play well for us and contribute offensively,” Dombrowski said. “It’s up to Jim (Leyland) when he plays him, of course, but we’re bringing him back to play second base the majority of the time.”
Tigers’ second basemen have combined to bat just .241/.301/.334 with six homers and a .635 OPS this season.
Guillen’s return actually works out quite nicely for the Tigers, who have a couple weeks to see whether he can actually handle playing second base on a regular basis. If not, they could eventually move him into a platoon with Brandon Inge at third and pick up a second baseman before the July 31 trade deadline.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)