Jul 16, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
The rehabbing right-hander was able to play catch yesterday and plans to do so again tomorrow, but he told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald this afternoon that there’s no timetable for his return.
Buchholz showed up to the ballpark today “encased in a massive heating pad” and said he won’t throw off a mound until the muscle strain in his lower back feels closer to 100 percent. He received a cortisone injection in his back when he visited Dr. Craig Brigham in North Carolina last week.
“It’s basically just going to be a feel thing,” Buchholz said. “It’s something that I don’t think I can really rush into or try to do more than I can on that particular day just for the fact that it’s a muscle in my back. It sucks. Obviously, I want to be pitching, I want to help the team in any way I can. Me going out there not 100 percent, or not 80 percent, I don’t think is going to help the team any. I think if I rush back into it, it will be something that will be here for the rest of the season and I don’t want that. I’d rather be ready to pitch at 100 percent and I feel like that’s the way that I can help this team win.”
Buchholz hasn’t pitched since leaving a start against the Rays on June 16. He was 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA and 60/31 K/BB ratio over 14 starts prior to the injury.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)