Jul 16, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
The Mets are beginning to look a lot like sellers, but they are finally close to getting their third baseman back.
David Wright went 1-for-2 with a double, a walk and a run scored last night in his first minor league rehab game with High-A St. Lucie. According to Greg Auman of ESPN New York, he also played five innings at third base.
“It felt good. It was obviously good to get back out there,” said Wright, who walked in the third inning and struck out swinging in the fifth at Joker Marchant Stadium. “A little rusty, and obviously I need a few more at-bats, but overall, I’m excited about how the first game went. So far, so good.”
Wright has been sidelined since May 15 due to a stress fracture in his lower back. He expects to play seven innings Saturday before playing full games next week. If all goes well, he’s on track to rejoin the Mets next Friday in Florida.
Wright was batting just .226/.337/.404 with six homers, 16 RBI and a .741 OPS before the injury, but the Mets could really use his bat in their lineup right now. They are batting just .237 with a .367 slugging percentage over their first 11 games this month.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)