Jul 16, 2011, 9:55 AM EST
The Mets are beginning to look a lot like sellers, but they are finally close to getting their third baseman back.
David Wright went 1-for-2 with a double, a walk and a run scored last night in his first minor league rehab game with High-A St. Lucie. According to Greg Auman of ESPN New York, he also played five innings at third base.
“It felt good. It was obviously good to get back out there,” said Wright, who walked in the third inning and struck out swinging in the fifth at Joker Marchant Stadium. “A little rusty, and obviously I need a few more at-bats, but overall, I’m excited about how the first game went. So far, so good.”
Wright has been sidelined since May 15 due to a stress fracture in his lower back. He expects to play seven innings Saturday before playing full games next week. If all goes well, he’s on track to rejoin the Mets next Friday in Florida.
Wright was batting just .226/.337/.404 with six homers, 16 RBI and a .741 OPS before the injury, but the Mets could really use his bat in their lineup right now. They are batting just .237 with a .367 slugging percentage over their first 11 games this month.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 89
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 42
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 31
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 24
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)