Jul 16, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
The Rays aren’t ready to go into sell-mode yet.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rays made a play for Francisco Rodriguez before the the Brewers “swooped in late.”
Rosenthal expounded on the subject in today’s “Full Count” video, citing K-Rod’s past connection with Rays manager Joe Maddon as a potential reason for their interest.
Of course, Kyle Farnsworth has been a revelation out of the closer’s role for the Rays this season, posting a 1.95 ERA, 18 saves in 20 chances and a 26/5 K/BB ratio over 37 innings. While it’s an interesting “what if” scenario, you’d have to think Scott Boras would have worked out a similar deal to waive K-Rod’s vesting option for 2012. It’s pretty clear he wanted him to be a free agent all along.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 12
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (105)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)