Jul 16, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
The Rays aren’t ready to go into sell-mode yet.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Rays made a play for Francisco Rodriguez before the the Brewers “swooped in late.”
Rosenthal expounded on the subject in today’s “Full Count” video, citing K-Rod’s past connection with Rays manager Joe Maddon as a potential reason for their interest.
Of course, Kyle Farnsworth has been a revelation out of the closer’s role for the Rays this season, posting a 1.95 ERA, 18 saves in 20 chances and a 26/5 K/BB ratio over 37 innings. While it’s an interesting “what if” scenario, you’d have to think Scott Boras would have worked out a similar deal to waive K-Rod’s vesting option for 2012. It’s pretty clear he wanted him to be a free agent all along.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)