Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jul 16, 2011, 8:43 AM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

This rivalry between the Cardinals and Reds continues to live up to the hype.

The Reds kicked off the second half in style last night, defeating the Cardinals 6-5 thanks to a two-out, walk off two-run homer by Brandon Phillips off Cards’ closer Fernando Salas in the bottom of the ninth inning.

The Reds were staked to an early 2-0 lead after a pair of solo homers from Chris Heisey, but this game saw three lead changes over the final three innings. The Cardinals jumped out in front in the top of the eighth when Albert Pujols absolutely demolished a 96 mph fastball from Aroldis Chapman for a two-run homer to left field. However, arch enemy Phillips had the last laugh in this one.

The Reds limped into the All-Star break two games under .500 and losers in seven out of their last 10 games, but they still find themselves just three games out in the ultra-competitive National League Central.

Your Friday box scores:

Brewers 0, Rockies 4

Angels 3, Athletics 5

Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 4

Rangers 4, Mariners 0

Giants 6, Padres 1

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 8:58 AM

A good way for the Phightin Phils to start off the post All-Star break. Mayberry Jr. is continuing to show that maybe he belongs with the big club after a 5 rbi night. Dom Brown was decent with the bat, although he continues to look clumsy in the field. And of course, Raul with the great defense in the outfield and launching a screamer to the right field stands at Citi Field ballpark.

Biggest need for this ballclub is not in the bullpen. It is at 3rd base. Polanco’s back problem has made this a priority. Ruben Amaro Jr., make it happen.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Polanco says he will be back when his DL time is over and is feeling much better. Not sure I buy it, but it is what was said. I pointed out yesterday evening, that maybe it is a coincidence but Jon Singleton was pulled from the starting line-up yesterday in Clearwater….right before I heard about him being included in a possible deal. Mayberry Jr. needs to stay with the big Phillies. His new hunched stance seems to have made all the difference in the world for him.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Good Morning, Good Doctor,

Singleton being pulled from the lineup yesterday? Interesting. One of two things. Either they were just give him a day off or a trade is imminent (today, perhaps). Why would they pull him? What do you think?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I checked the starting line-up because I wanted to see who was pitching and he was slotted 3rd playing 1st base. I did that about 10 minutes before opening pitch. I checked back about half an hour later to see how the game was going and he was not in the line-up anymore. Interestingly, about an hour before the game I heard a rumor that Singleton was headed to SD for Adams. I tried to find more information last night but was unable to. It could be a coincidence, but I don’t know. I do, however, think that if the Phillies are going to bring in a significant name that either him or Cosart will go the other way. Also on the minor league front, young Biddle through 7 shutout innings of 3 hit ball last night and Joe Savery had a pinch hit RBI single for the Iron Pigs.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Without Arod, the Yankees are in big trouble. Yankee fans want to see some trades; however, I doubt that they have much that they can trade. Other than Montero, who do they have that other teams would want? The only saving grace for New York is that Boston’s rotation has the injury bug. Watch out behind you as the hottest teams in the AL East are in Tampa Bay and Toronto.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM

You said it all in the first two words. I send daily get well cards to my buddy Al. Don’t be surprised, however, to see a mystery bat appear, that Garner/Jones thing can’t go on. The pitching we may have to live with, Hughes is back, we’ll see.
      Congrats, Morrow was great last night, much better than JoiJo the night before.

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Good morning Len. Romero vs Cap’n Crunch Sabbathia in a few hours. I hesitate to use the phrase ‘they’re due’ but Sabbathia has pretty much had his way with the Jays in the past, the Jays are now hot, and The Universe is not. With the team mustering signs of life in the hitting department and Encarnacion, whom proudlycanadian eloquently dubbed “E5″, showing some skills over @ 3rd I think the Beaverboys might have a chance in this one. It’ll be a close scoring affair if they do win, but if the Yankees get out to a fast start it’ll be all over but for the thrill of watching CC smoke one fast ball after another past the Jay’s hitters.

Whatever happens, a 5 game winning streak for the Beaverboys, last 2 without a contribution from The Most Interesting Hitter in The World. Hitting up and down the lineup, pitching well enough to win, if we leave Reyes out of the discussion, and not a word out of place from Angel Hernandez to this point. I sense the effects of dark magic here.

In any event, I shall light a cigar and leave it along with a big glass of rum for Jobu again and lets the gods decide this one because I have no idea how its gonna go.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Thank you for your kind responses, cur and Ari. I’m sure the maladies of the Universe will soon be cured. After a month of interleague and All Star nonsense it will take a while to adjust to playing REAL baseball again.
        Once the world rights itself again and we can get to Robertson and Mo, even Wade, in the later innings then some come-from-behinds can commence. The roadblock to this is ol’ Joe’s conservative black book which sadly includes the words “bunt”, “steal”, and “sacrifice”, historically alien to a Yankees gameplan.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Len,

If the Yankees are the Universe, what are the Phillies, just a galaxy within that Universe?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Biceps-
        I guess they’re a separate Galaxie, far (90 miles) far away.

• Ari Collins - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Hate to come to the Yankees’ defense, but:

They’re not really in trouble without A-Rod, even though he’s been their best player, since that’s still a stacked team 3.5G up in the wild card and 1.5G back of the division.

And they actually have one of the best farm systems in the majors, with 3 players in Baseball America’s midseason top 50, so they COULD trade for nearly anyone who’s actually available. (Which, Yankee fans, does NOT include Felix. Sorry.)

3. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I’ve noticed your discussions between Dr Monkey and Utley’s Hair (great name by the way), and very much agree. Who can we move to get Michael Young? I know that the Rangers are in good position and mightn not want to move him, but probably would seeing how he doesn’t want to be there and will leave them eventually, so why not get something for him while he is of value? And don’t give me the “Baez, KK, and Fransico” joke option (at least I think those are the guys you mentioned), which did make me laugh. But realistically, who can we trade? bI’d love to find someone to be a long term solution for 3rd. Also, when the season is over, who do you prioritze to sign? I’d go Hamels first, then worry about J Roll, then worry about Madson. Not that I don’t think Madson is good, but Super Agent is gonna try to get him the moon in whatever deal he wants, and I think they could find a cheaper option, and to me, Hamels is just too important to lose. Thoughts?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM

1. Texas will not trade Michael Young. It’s just that simple. As far as him not wanting to be there, the word is that they have smoothed over their relationship with Michael Young and he wants to be in Texas. He’s having a good year for them and they are in 1st place. He’s not coming to the Phillies. It’s really that simple.

2. 3rd base. I think this is the priority. Dr. Monkeyarmy believes the guy to go after might be Aramis Ramierez, and I agree. He has a decent glove, provides the righthanded pop they need, and could be had since we have the pitching that the Cubs would want for the future. Makes sense to me. He’s 32, so he can give the Phillies a few years at 3rd. Problem is that the Phils right now have no prospect in the minors ready to play 3rd. This is a problem.

3. Priority off-season signing list for me is Hamels, Rollins, and maybe Madson. If Madson wants too much money, I would take a pass and put the money elsewhere.

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I do believe a nice chunk of your money woes disappear if Oswalt retires. Your sources have anything to say about that happening? No news about his rehab from that balky back in ages. Hopefully he’s keeping off of back-hoes because if he isn’t I fear a naked Chris Fiorentino will hunt him down and do him further injury.

• bigxrob - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM

cur,
        I don’t think it matters if Oswalt retires or not. I’m 95% sure his option for next year is a team option.

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM

bigx: I defer to your greater knowledge. On a side note, how do you guys keep track of all this stuff? I barely have room in my head for my schedule today, never mimd team vs player options.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Oswalt’s contract for 2012 is a 16 mil mutual option. He would have to agree to come back and the Phillies would have to want him back. If not, the Phils would have to buy him out for 2 mil or restructure another deal for him.

• mcchef - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I think if the Phils are looking at a thirdbaseman, they should give a look at Juan Uribe. Yes, the Dodgers have given him a large, I believe 2 year, contract, but acquiring him would not cost you guys all that much. he is solid at third and when Polanco is healthy, Uribe can spell utley and Rollins also. I can’t remember where, but I have read the Dodgers are willing, if not eager to move Uribe. His stats are pretty bad, but maybe a change of scenery plus hitting in a more friendly park and stronger lineup can reinvigorate his bat. speaking as a Giants fan, I loved having this guy on the team last year. A very important reason for a Giants championship last year.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM

mcchef,

The thing is, we already have (2) clones of Juan Uribe. They are named Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez. Thanks, but no thanks.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM

The 3rd guy you mentioned was Zagurski, wasn’t it. Yeah, that would’ve been a sweet deal. Brent Morel is a prospect from the White Sox that could be a good 3rd baseman for us down the road. He’s a consistent hitter, good glove, In the minors at least. Could be ready for the big leagues soon. A. Ramierez would be a good temporary fix, but for the long term, I’d go with Morel. Not completely out of the realm of possibility they get both. They could obviously wait on Morel if they get Aramis. There are better prospects out there than Morel, but if they’re looking for a righty, and seeing how lefty heavy they are I’d imagine the would, Morel would be at the top of my list.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 12:12 PM

aclassyguyfromaclassytown,

Those players I mentioned yesterday (Bocock, Baez, Zagurski, Herndon, etc.) were just a joke. Honestly, we couldn’t get a bag of balls for those guys.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Yeah, I know it was a joke. Hence why I said “And don’t give me the “Baez, KK, and Fransico” joke option” followed by “(at least I think those are the guys you mentioned)”, and later “The 3rd guy you mentioned was Zagurski, wasn’t it”. I wa simply asking your honest opinion on who we could trade, and making a referrance to your joke. Any Phillie fan in their right mind would love to see a deal that asinine happen, but odds are it only would if we were tading with Houston right now, cause the only person who might make that bad of a trade and give up anyone of value would be Ed Wade.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Good Morning Cur68,

Roy Oswalt may start throwing as early as next week. His back is apparently feeling much better. They are still shooting for an early August return for the 4th ace.

What people don’t realize is that even though the Phillies will have major money come off the books next year (Ibanez, Lidge, Oswalt, etc.), they have players that are due substantial raises next year in regards to their contract structures (Lee jumps from 11.5 to 22.5 million, Howard jumps from 20 to 25 million, Hamels will jump to a much higher figure). So, there is not as much money as people think. And they still need to sign Rollins to another contract. And believe me, the Phils, like Boston, do not want to go over the 175 million mark and pay a luxury tax.

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Ooof. Had no idea about those raises. Why did I give up on my sports career? Oh yes, now I remember: I sucked.

Back to Oswalt, though. It’s not my strength, but if I know anything about degenerative lumbar vertebra its that no matter how much rest, how much therapy, how many exercises you do, the condition doesn’t improve so much as slow down. Once a certain threshold of damage has been reached, there’s no going back (pun intended). If Little Roy is at the point where he has to stop work and rest then he’s close to that point. He may return this year but next year? I dunno about that. All surgical treatments I’m aware of (fusing, disc replacement, etc) will be aimed at reducing pain not restoring performance. This could be a case for he magical “Colonic Stem Cell Treatment”. Now THAT would be a miracle cure!

Oh yes, and a good morning to you, too ‘Biceps.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Oswalt had an epidermal shot in his back a few weeks back. He said he is feeling much better. He has been throwing on flat ground and feels good. He will start throwing off the mound early next week. If that goes well, he will probably have a couple of minor league starts before rejoining the rotation.

As far as him pitching next year, who knows? I think if he is able to pitch and wants to go on another run with the Phillies, he would have to be willing to redo his contract. There’s no way that the Phils will give him the 16 mil option that he has in his contract with his back issues.

4. metalhead65 - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM

why is it the national league central is ultra competitive this year but when the reds won it last year it was because it sucked? and when the cards ruled you never heard a word about being a terrible division only that the cardinals were it’s champs.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I didn’t think the Reds sucked last year. Just the opposite actually. They were known as the best offense in the NL, and rightfully so. They just happened to run into a team with great pitching and more (recent) playoff experience and got mowed down in a heart beat. I’d expect them to do well again this year, possibly going farther in the playoffs (as long as they don’t get put against the Phillies in the first round again). Shouldn’t get ahead of myself though. With it being a close race, lets make sure they get into the playoffs first. I’d put my money on them making it, but going no farther than the NLCS.

• spudchukar - Jul 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Whine, Whine, Whine do your stuff!.

5. losburrosinblue - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Because at this time last year the 3rd place Cubs were 9 games under .500 and the Red and Cards were the only competition. D.J. is saying that its ultra-competitive. The top 4 teams are within 3 games of one another. The division still isn’t great, given that the 4th place team is one game under .500. So its not the best division, but its actually competitive.

6. kopy - Jul 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Play of the night from yesterday: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16912955&topic_id=8877600&c_id=min&tcid=vpp_copy_16912955&v=3

7. APBA Guy - Jul 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM

The mighty A’s roughed up Dan Haren last night for 4 ER, a tremendous outburst, fueled by Willingham’s 3 for 4 with a HR and a double. Guess who just went to the head of the “Trade me” class?

Across town, Timmy was indeed himself on the surface, but was in fact extremely inefficient, throwing 112 in just 6 innings. Fortunately it was the Padres in SD, so no worries about any runs being scored by the opposition.

Giants gear is out in full swing in the Bay Area. Nothing like having a winner that continues to win, and people here are starting to believe that a miracle can happen twice. Maybe believe is too strong a word. “Hope” is more like it, as long as Philly keeps doing what they do.

Attendance at Petco was 42,000 last night. Lots of people getting to SD from LA ahead of the 405 closure. Carmageddon indeed.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3071)