Jul 17, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
Few would disagree that the Cardinals and Reds have the most active rivalry in Major League Baseball. Yanks-Sawx is classic, Giants-Dodgers is still plenty heated, and Cards-Cubs tends to draw to great interest, but the Redlegs and Redbirds genuinely seem to dislike each other. And that same sentiment is shared by the competing fanbases.
Two games into this weekend’s three-game set at Cincinnati’s Great American Ballpark, the tension is as potent as ever. On Friday night, the Reds won in walkoff fashion thanks to a Brandon Phillips ninth-inning blast. But the back-and-forth game looked to be in the Cardinals’ hands just an inning earlier, when resurgent slugger Albert Pujols ripped an Aroldis Chapman pitch high into the left field seats to give St. Louis a 5-4 eighth-inning lead.
Pujols is booed heavily by Reds fans when he steps to the plate in Cincinnati, as is teammate Yadier Molina.
Here is Albert’s post-homer reaction to those boos, via a screen-grab by Reds fan Joe Lankford:
Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter operated well in damage control over eight innings on Saturday and Pujols homered again to give St. Louis a 4-1 victory. The series finale gets underway at 1:15 PM ET.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 2
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 177
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (178)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)