Jul 17, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
Few would disagree that the Cardinals and Reds have the most active rivalry in Major League Baseball. Yanks-Sawx is classic, Giants-Dodgers is still plenty heated, and Cards-Cubs tends to draw to great interest, but the Redlegs and Redbirds genuinely seem to dislike each other. And that same sentiment is shared by the competing fanbases.
Two games into this weekend’s three-game set at Cincinnati’s Great American Ballpark, the tension is as potent as ever. On Friday night, the Reds won in walkoff fashion thanks to a Brandon Phillips ninth-inning blast. But the back-and-forth game looked to be in the Cardinals’ hands just an inning earlier, when resurgent slugger Albert Pujols ripped an Aroldis Chapman pitch high into the left field seats to give St. Louis a 5-4 eighth-inning lead.
Pujols is booed heavily by Reds fans when he steps to the plate in Cincinnati, as is teammate Yadier Molina.
Here is Albert’s post-homer reaction to those boos, via a screen-grab by Reds fan Joe Lankford:
Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter operated well in damage control over eight innings on Saturday and Pujols homered again to give St. Louis a 4-1 victory. The series finale gets underway at 1:15 PM ET.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 33
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 15
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (207)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)