Jul 17, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
$126 million man Jayson Werth went 0-for-5 while his Nationals lost 9-8 to the Braves on Sunday, dropping his average to .213. He’s followed up a .154 month of June by hitting .157 in his first 51 at-bats during July.
Werth has played in 91 games for the Nationals, and he’s had multiple hits in just 15 of them.
For the season, only four players have had more games in which they’ve finished with one or no hits:
Werth also has just 31 RBI despite batting third in more than half of his games. He’s on pace to finish the season with 53 RBI and 153 strikeouts, which would put him in some interesting territory. Here’s a list of the lowest RBI totals in 150-strikeout seasons:
1. Austin Jackson (Det, 2010) – 41 RBI, 170 K
2. Delino DeShields (Mon, 1991) – 51 RBI, 151 K
2. Mickey Tettleton (Bal, 1990) – 51 RBI, 160 K
4. Bo Jackson (KC, 1987) – 53 RBI, 158 K
5. Pete Incaviglia (Tex, 1988) – 54 RBI, 153 K
Werth almost surely will go on a little tear at some point and end the year with 60-70 RBI, but if not, he could end up with one of the more unique seasons in big-league history.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)