Jul 17, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
$126 million man Jayson Werth went 0-for-5 while his Nationals lost 9-8 to the Braves on Sunday, dropping his average to .213. He’s followed up a .154 month of June by hitting .157 in his first 51 at-bats during July.
Werth has played in 91 games for the Nationals, and he’s had multiple hits in just 15 of them.
For the season, only four players have had more games in which they’ve finished with one or no hits:
Werth also has just 31 RBI despite batting third in more than half of his games. He’s on pace to finish the season with 53 RBI and 153 strikeouts, which would put him in some interesting territory. Here’s a list of the lowest RBI totals in 150-strikeout seasons:
1. Austin Jackson (Det, 2010) – 41 RBI, 170 K
2. Delino DeShields (Mon, 1991) – 51 RBI, 151 K
2. Mickey Tettleton (Bal, 1990) – 51 RBI, 160 K
4. Bo Jackson (KC, 1987) – 53 RBI, 158 K
5. Pete Incaviglia (Tex, 1988) – 54 RBI, 153 K
Werth almost surely will go on a little tear at some point and end the year with 60-70 RBI, but if not, he could end up with one of the more unique seasons in big-league history.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)