Jul 17, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
$126 million man Jayson Werth went 0-for-5 while his Nationals lost 9-8 to the Braves on Sunday, dropping his average to .213. He’s followed up a .154 month of June by hitting .157 in his first 51 at-bats during July.
Werth has played in 91 games for the Nationals, and he’s had multiple hits in just 15 of them.
For the season, only four players have had more games in which they’ve finished with one or no hits:
Werth also has just 31 RBI despite batting third in more than half of his games. He’s on pace to finish the season with 53 RBI and 153 strikeouts, which would put him in some interesting territory. Here’s a list of the lowest RBI totals in 150-strikeout seasons:
1. Austin Jackson (Det, 2010) – 41 RBI, 170 K
2. Delino DeShields (Mon, 1991) – 51 RBI, 151 K
2. Mickey Tettleton (Bal, 1990) – 51 RBI, 160 K
4. Bo Jackson (KC, 1987) – 53 RBI, 158 K
5. Pete Incaviglia (Tex, 1988) – 54 RBI, 153 K
Werth almost surely will go on a little tear at some point and end the year with 60-70 RBI, but if not, he could end up with one of the more unique seasons in big-league history.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)