Jul 17, 2011, 7:20 PM EDT
Expectations were that Mike Carp would get another chance soon, but it won’t come at Jack Cust‘s expense. The Mariners demoted Carlos Peguero to Triple-A to make room for Carp after Sunday’s loss to the Rangers.
The struggling Seattle offense totaled just two runs while the team was swept by the Rangers in a four-game series.
Cust played only once in the series, going 0-for-4 with two strikeouts in Friday’s loss. He’s 1-for-16 with nine strikeouts and three walks during July. For the season as a whole, his OBP stands at .348, easily the high mark of anyone who has spent the whole season with Seattle. However, he’s hitting just .207 with three homers and 23 RBI in 208 at-bats. Even with the solid OBP, he’s scored a total of 17 runs.
Peguero was way overmatched at the major league level, even if he did manage to hit six homers in 143 at-bats. He had a .196 average and a 54/8 K/BB ratio in 143 at-bats.
Carp, a natural first baseman, has seen most of his playing time in left field this year, but the Mariners chose Peguero over him last month because of his issues defensively. He’d seem to be the natural replacement in the DH slot for Cust. However, since the Mariners aren’t giving up on Cust yet, he’ll instead battle Greg Halman for playing time in left field.
Carp was hitting .341/.410/.651 with 21 homers and 64 RBI in 65 games for Triple-A Tacoma. He went 7-for-35 with no RBI in his time with the Mariners last month.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 21
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (132)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)